the new nancy drew

» the new nancy drew «

SCOUT PAXTON WAS NORMALLY THE TYPE OF GIRL TO PARTICIPATE IN SOCIAL EVENTS, BUT RATHER THAN ATTENDING A PARTY THAT SATURDAY NIGHT, SHE MADE DIFFERENT PLANS. She slipped into her wet suit, tying her hair up and slipping her tight mask over her head. She tied on her combat boots and slid her gauntlets on, completing her get up with her bomb holsters. She gave herself a thumbs up in the mirror before climbing out of her window. She climbed down the stairs of her balcony and landed on the pavement. As she began walking, a light tapping from above caught her attention, and she looked up to see the faces of Jane and Lea pressed against their apartment window. Scout laughed to herself, waving at the two little girls and then carrying on down the street.

Scout remained on high alert as she navigated her way through Brooklyn. Despite the late hour, the city was alive and chattering. Honks of cars sang through the air, lights flickering on and off across the horizon. The sky was a dark blue and the moon shone dully, barely visible through all the buildings and skyscrapers. Scout felt like such a small girl in the big city, everything a little overwhelming. But she liked it.

A party had been the last thing on her mind that evening, and she was glad she decided not to attend. Being surrounded by intoxicated teens and loud, blaring music was never appealing to her; she simply liked to be with her friends. But a social gathering was the least of her concerns that night. She had much larger issues.

She pulled out her phone and took a second look at the address she'd found, the home of Todd Harrison. She thought the fact that she was going to spy on her teacher a little amusing when she didn't think about the heaviness behind the situation. She was also proud of herself for getting his address in general. She'd searched through hundreds of old Facebook posts to find out that he used to host a book club at his townhouse, and the address was there for everyone to see. Lucky her.

She was almost there, and she tucked her phone away once more as she quickly walked the remainder of the distance. His townhouse was in south Brooklyn, just a couple blocks away from Derek and Jerry's place. She knew the area fairly well, which settled her nerves.