si vis pacem, para bellum

» si vis pacem, para bellum «

if you want peace, prepare for war

SCOUT PAXTON FOUND OUT THAT NIGHT THAT IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR PEOPLE TO BE BROKEN IN WAYS THAT COULD NEVER BE FIXED. She didn't know how long she cried for, but she knew that she felt a freezing chill inside every inch of her body as Peter had helped her off the ground, keeping his arm around her as he walked her home. Papa had already gone to the hospital, and Charlotte had locked herself in her room, crying into her pillow. Peter couldn't bear to leave Scout by herself with swollen eyes and quivering lips in a dark apartment.

Peter stayed with Scout that night.

He sat patiently on the side of her bed as Scout hid away in the bathroom. She had spent a good several minutes leaning against the wall and staring at her reflection in the mirror. Her face was stained with tears, red and blotchy from the near hour of crying she did. Her hair was falling out of her pony tail and her nose was stuffy. She decided she looked like an absolute mess, and she felt so incredibly heart broken on the inside.

She tried to keep her thoughts free from the overwhelming truth that had just hit her, but she couldn't stop thinking about it. Her grandmother was dead, and that completely broke Scout. She would never see her grandmother again. She would never come home from school and see Nani serving customers freshly baked pastries and cakes. She would never taste her cooking again or feel her small arms wrap around her every night.

If anything, it felt like losing her mother all over again.

She was afraid of forgetting what Nani's voice sounded like. She hated how now it felt as if part of her soul had been stolen. She realized that life would never be the same now, for the most important person to her had been ripped away from her life. And she hated how she wasn't there when she died. That was the one thing she wanted, to be able to spend every moment with her grandmother before she finally passed. She felt as if she had failed her.