how to be a heartbreaker

» how to be a heartbreaker «

SCOUT PAXTON ONLY REMEMBERED BITS AND PIECES FROM THAT NIGHT. She remembered Peter holding her as her vision went in and out of focus. She remembered the flashing lights of the ambulance and blaring sirens of the police. She had watched as Peter pulled his mask over his face upon their arrival, only slipping away when he knew she was safe in the stretcher. She remembered an oxygen mask being placed over her mouth, the ceiling of the emergency vehicle fading to black.

She remembered dreaming. She dreamt of beautiful things, things she had never seen before. Lilies in bloom in the spring, birds singing. Palm trees swaying, rabbits hopping. Family dinners by the fire place, running through fallen oak leaves, sledding down hills. She dreamed of things she knew she would never see; her parents watching her as she blew out her candles on her sixteenth birthday. Her parents helping her move into her first dorm. Her father walking her down the aisle on her wedding day. Her mother rocking her baby to sleep.

And then she remembered waking up in the emergency room. Everything was white, and at first she only heard the quiet beeping of the EKG. She saw her grandparents and sister crammed into the small room, all jumping up when they saw she was awake. The doctor had come in, telling her that her injury was half an inch deep and a fourth an inch wide, and that only a few stitches were necessary. She had a mild concussion and would be able to return to school in a week, and would have to use crutches until she felt like she could bear comfortable weight on her leg.

The following days had been filled with answering police questions to sitting in a dark room while her head healed. And the entire week, she didn't hear a thing from Peter. No visits, no calls, not even a simple text. She couldn't decide was hurt worse; her leg or the fact that he remained silent. She chose to ignore it mostly, figuring he was busy with school and crime fighting. She focused on getting better, sleeping as much as she could and taking her medicine, wanting her leg to be back to normal so she could go back out at night.