Jesse's POV (19)

"Do you want to go to my grandma's funeral?" Jordan asked, surprising us both. Why was she asking me?

"You're asking me?" I voiced my thoughts as my eyebrows rose. Why me? "Wouldn't you want to ask one of your friends?"

"You helped me when I needed it the most," she glanced down. "Dallas wasn't there for me when I needed him, but you were. You... You always seem to be there when I need you, Jesse. My grandma always wanted to formally meet you. Now she can... Kind of. So... Will you go?"

"Sure, Emery," I smiled, not thinking twice about the answer I was giving her as I put an arm over her shoulders. "Sure."

She told me I was there for her, she said I was always there for her... Jordan finally realized something about me that I've been trying to show her for ages. I could tell this was only the beginning.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"It's strange being here, isn't it?" I asked, walking up to Jordan who was eyeing the church carefully. She didn't want to go in. I wouldn't blame her. "This is the one place that I'd always avoid back when we lived her."

"Why would you avoid it?" Jordan asked, turning her head to look at me. "Do you not believe in God or something?"

I shook my head and pushed my hands into my pockets. Frowning, I said, "I definitely believe in God. Or, at least, I used to... Back when I was little, my dad would force me to go every Sunday. I wouldn't ever admit it to anyone else, but I really did like to go. But after what happened with Hunter, and a few other things..." my voice trailed off, deceiving me a little. My eyes landed on Jordan before I continued. "All I seemed to do was pray. I prayed so much... but nothing ever changed. And here we are now, both on the run from a psychopath."

"Thanks for reminding me," Jordan grumbled, crossing her arms tightly over her chest. "That sure made me feel a lot better..."

"Sorry," I smiled sheepishly.

Jordan took a deep breath before saying, "Don't worry about it," and holding on to the sleeve of the nice coat I decided to wear. We walked into the church, Jordan leading me.

"Oh, Jordan!" Someone cried before arms were being thrown around Jordan's neck, causing her to drop my sleeve. "Jordan, honey, are you alright?"

"I'm fine, Mom," Jordan excused, and I looked towards the woman to see it was, in fact, Mrs. Emery. Her eyes were red and she looked as though she had been crying for days. When she turned toward me, I almost froze in fear.

If Jordan's mom remembered me, I don't think she'd be too happy about her bringing a guy who used to make her life miserable.

"Who's this?" Mrs. Emery asked. "Is this the friend you brought?"

"Yeah," Jordan answered simply, slightly shrugging. "This is Jesse. You remember him, don't you?"

"Oh, yes!" She smiled, making my pain ease a little. We had met before, but not in the best way. I'm sure she knew how I felt about her daughter, though. "Of course I remember the boy who drove Jordan crazy for almost four years."

I took her hand, laughing when she did. "It's nice to see you again, Mrs. Emery."

She ran away, and the service was going to start soon. Jordan led us to our seats, which were right in the middle, at the end of the row. I was sitting at the very end and she sat next to me.

Jordan began looking at everyone who came to see the funeral. She was trying her best not to cry, even though she wanted to. She needed to. It would make her feel better, but she kept them locked away.