Jesse's POV (26)

I didn't dress up much for prom. Was there really a point to dress up? Every guy in my cabin was going with someone they had some sort of interest in, except for me. Instead of going with me, Jordan would rather to go prom with a junior that she knew nothing about.

Alex and I didn't speak much about the topic. I didn't tell him I was going with Aimee, because I was sure he would do something to stop me. Either that, or he'd tell Jordan. She wouldn't be too happy to hear I was going with her old best friend.

I went to go and pick up Aimee from her cabin, as did all the other guys attending prom. She was wearing a short red dress. Other than that, she didn't look much different than how she usually looks.

The second we actually entered the court where prom was being held, I sat down. This night was something I was not looking forward to. Aimee plopped herself down on my lap. Was she not aware there were other chairs around this table? We sat in silence for a few minutes, but it was clear to me that Aimee couldn't stay quiet for that long.

"Jesse, let's go dance," Aimee said, grabbing my hand and leading me to the floor. I didn't have much of a choice, and I wasn't really in the mood to start dancing. But that didn't stop her from dragging me into the middle of the court. She started dancing, and I tried not to look like I'd rather be anywhere but here.

Jordan had taken over my mind. I was wondering about every little thing. Am I going to see her at the prom? Is she planning on doing anything after? What if I had stopped her from leaving my cabin a few days ago? She'd probably still show up with Pete, but seeing her dance with Pete would be a lot less horrible than seeing her kiss Dally. Why did I have to say those things to her? We had gotten so far in our relationship compared to the last three years, and it had all come crashing down in five minutes.

Four songs had passed before Aimee finally began to pant.

I offered to get her some punch, hoping to buy myself some time. Being in a tight area full of sweaty bodies wasn't how I planned out my night. Plus, I couldn't find Jordan anywhere. I was starting to think she just decided not to show up. If that's what had happened, I would've hated myself. Dallas already ruined one prom for her, I don't want to be the reason for this one to be ruined for her as well.

For some reason, my gut told me I had already ruined it.

Just as I walked up to the punch bowl, a girl had spun around, ramming into me. My hands wrapped around her arms to steady her. It was a force of habit. Looking down, I saw that it was Jordan. My eyes widened. I was about to blurt out her name, when I stopped myself.

"Thank you," Jordan said, not meeting my eyes. She was so grateful before looking up and seeing that it was me. Her brown eyes grew wider as she stared. She looked absolutely beautiful, and I couldn't believe she wasn't here with me. This was supposed to be our night. I wanted things to progress between us. How I could I come here with her ex-best friend?

My eyes scanned her body, and her cheeks turned red. Whenever I thought life was going great, it flipped around and completely fucked everything up. This night could've been looked over. Pete and Dallas could've been forgotten, and Jordan and I could've pretended it hadn't happened. I screwed it all up by asking Aimee to the prom.

I let out a breath, loosening my grip on her. "You look beautiful, Jordan."

The red on her cheeks grew darker, but my compliment didn't seem to stop her from yanking her arms out of my grasp.

"Are you sure Aimee isn't prettier than me?" She snapped, crossing her arms tightly over her chest. I wanted to laugh. There was no chance that Aimee looked half as gorgeous Jordan had. "Where is she, anyway?"