Jesse's POV (20)

(I'm updating again tonight because McKenna noticed this story and voted and I kind of squealed awkwardly and loudly and I'm so happy and I don't really know what to do so here's another chapter)

Jordan and I made our way back inside the church, sitting in the front this time. She seated next to her mother, hugging her the entire ceremony. When it was time for Jordan's grandmother to be buried, she cried into my chest and I held her.

Jordan asked me to come with her back to her house after the funeral. We ended up sitting on her couch, my hand on top of hers, as we waited for Jordan's mother to return so she could apologize. It wasn't her fault, but she refused to listen to what I was saying.

"I'm so sorry for running out like that," Jordan apologized quietly to her mother. "I just couldn't take it... And you never told me how Grandma died, so it was a pretty big shock."

For me as well.

"I'm sorry, Jordan," Mrs. Emery sniffed, seating on the couch across from us. "I just couldn't tell you that she was killed..."

And it was my fault...

I kept adding little comments after everything they said, but never said them out loud. Keeping them to myself would be the better choice.

"I just don't understand why someone would do this to her," Mrs. Emery bent over in her seat, talking through her tears. "Why would someone do this to an elderly lady?"

Without thinking, I placed a hand on Jordan's knee. She looked surprised by my action, but didn't push it away. When the front door flew open, Jordan jumped and I removed my hand. She let out a sigh or relief and stood to go see her father.

"Sorry I was late," he said, "I had to drive Mary Lou home."

Jordan hugged him, and once they pulled away, his eyes landed on me. He looked confused, and I felt a little self conscious that he was staring at me.

"Um, you remember Jesse, a friend of mine," Jordan broke the silence, stepping closer to me.

I stepped forward, extending a hand toward Jordan's father. "Um, nice to see you again, sir," I said, trying my best to keep my voice steady, when I was actually kind of nervous.

He raised his eyebrows, but shook my hand anyways. Turning back toward Jordan, I noticed a small smile on her lips after I looked back in her direction.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"So how was the trip with Jordan?" Alex smirked, and I felt sick to my stomach when I remembered everything that happened. I was the reason Hunter killed her grandmother. I was the reason she was feeling so much pain the past week. Maybe I was the reason for everything bad in her life.

"We went to her grandmother's funeral," I said flatly, and Alex gave me a look as if he didn't know if I was being serious or not. When he figured out I was, the smirk dropped to a frown.

"I'm sorry," he said sincerely. I simply shrugged. "How is Jordan? I was going to ask why I haven't seen much of her lately, but now I understand why."

"She's smiling more, so I'm guessing she's feeling better. But, I'm not. I did something horrible and I think she hates me more than ever."

"Why would you say that?"

I sighed deeply. "I fucked up, Alex. I've fucked up a lot."

"I'm sure it's not that bad, Jess," he shoved his hands into his pockets. "I thought you said you two were getting along better now."