Jesse's POV (37)

There was a pep rally going on today. All seniors were supposed to meet on the dock, but I was hoping to find Jordan and get her to spend the day with me. I was positive she wouldn't want to go to a pep rally anyway. 

I didn't want to spend the day with her just because I didn't want to attend the rally, but this may be the last day I ever see her, and I need to spend every moment with her. 

I was standing in the shadows, waiting for her to come by so I could get her to come with me and skip the stupid pep rally. I'm sure plenty of people were going to skip, so it wouldn't be a big deal. When I saw her walk by, I didn't waste a second before I extended my arm and grabbed her arm, pulling her with me. I covered her mouth with my hand before she could scream and dragged her into the shadows and behind a cabin. She raised her arm to elbow me in the stomach, but I grabbed it and turned her around before she could do so. Her eyes met mine, and she let out a sigh of relief.

"You scared me," Jordan let out a breath, straightening out her shirt as I let her go. I had a cocky grin on my face as I watched her carefully. "I thought you were Hunter or something."

My smile dropped as she mentioned his name. He was the reason I had to leave. I didn't want to think about him at all, today. "Hunter can't get in here, Jordan."

"He's gotten in here before, remember?" She pointed out. "The prom and the senior carnival–"

Jordan cut herself off by biting her lip, but I still heard what I needed to. She saw him? I furrowed my eyebrows.  "He was at the senior fair? Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I didn't want you to freak out, like you're probably going to do now," She tried assuring by by grabbing my forearms and holding me tightly. "It wasn't even that big of a deal."

"What did he do?" I demanded, getting to the point.

Jordan looked to the ground, and I felt myself getting angrier by the second. I was ready to go kill Hunter, and I didn't care about any of the consequences. 

"He... kissed me," she blurted without meaning to, trying to look at anything else but me. I felt my fists clench, but she continued to try and reassure me. "But it was because I was running the kissing booth! He wouldn't have done that if it wasn't for that! Please don't get angry. Please."

Hearing her beg made me remember what I was doing. Why would I be angry today when I won't be here tomorrow? The thought of leaving still made me feel anxious and scared, but I couldn't stay. Not here.

Instead of saying anything else, I leaned over and pressed my lips against hers. She kissed me back immediately, and I could feel myself smiling into the kiss. My mind travelled to the horrible thoughts about how I'd never be able to kiss her again, and I pulled away.

"Why don't we ditch this lame pep rally?" I couldn't look away from her eyes. Today, I was going to spend every second with her, even if she got sick of me. My nose brushed against hers, "and go have some fun on our own?"

"I would," Jordan answered with a grin, standing on her toes and kissing me again. "But I need to go to this stupid pep rally with my friends. I barely spend any time with them anymore."

Even though I tried to look like it didn't bother me, it did, and I'm sure I looked upset as well. "I was kind of hoping to spend the day with you," I admitted, looking to the ground.

"You spent pretty much every day with me in the hospital," she reminded me, kissing me once more. "You stayed with me until I was all better. I seriously can't feel any pain in these bruises anymore. But anyway, we can spend the day together tomorrow."