Jesse's POV (43)

It was that day.

Today was the day that I was supposed to graduate. I was supposed to get my diploma and move on with my life, Jordan by my side. Now I was rotting away in my own self-loathing, because I had to protect the girl I loved, leaving her behind.

I shouldn't have done it, but I had to see her graduate. I needed one last goodbye. So I went back to the camp, after saying farewell twice to the girl I loved. Once more couldn't hurt, could it? But that's only if she noticed me. If she didn't, everything would just be easier.

So, once more, I walked into the camp with a pair of sunglasses covering my eyes and a hat sitting on my head.

The main hall was filled with hundreds of people, so I knew I wouldn't stand out. I'd just have to sit between a group of parents and no one would be able to tell it was me. I had a bad feeling when I sat down, but I wasn't sure what it was. I brushed it off as nothing, hoping that it was nothing.

Pomp and Circumstance began playing, and all the seniors walked by. Looking through everyone passing, my eyes landed on Jordan who was smiling at everyone who looked her way. She had the valedictorian stole around her neck, and I can't say that I was surprised. She was the smartest girl in Adeline.

They all sat down, and Jordan looked terrified. I guessed it was because of her speech, and I wanted to hold her tightly and help her calm down.

Matthew began talking, and I barely listened to anything he said. My full attention was focused on Jordan, who looked amazing as she zoned out, tousling with the tassel on her cap. If only I could walk right up to her and kiss her, so all my worries could vanish, for at least a few moments.

I heard him say something about the class president, and someone named Daniel Watts started talking about a few things I wasn't interested in at all.

"And now for our valedictorian, Jordan Emery," my head shot up and I noticed that Matthew had taken back the podium. Jordan stood up, getting out of her chair and walking through the row. Her feet traveled up the stairs quickly, adding a small bounce in every step. She looked as though she was going to pass out, and I couldn't help but wonder why she was so nervous. I never knew that she wasn't comfortable being in front of crowds.

"Welcome, and thank you for coming today to celebrate with the graduating class of 2011..." Jordan began speaking, looking down at the podium. "It's so hard to believe that this day is finally here..."

Her eyes scanned the crowd, and I looked down, in case she noticed me like she did at the talent show. "I'm one of the students that came here in the middle of the school year, and I couldn't be happier that we were able to do this exchange."

I knew that wasn't completely true. No one wanted to come to the camp at the beginning, we just kind of got used to it. If we all could've stayed in California, I'm sure we would've. If Jordan and I could've stayed enemies the rest of our lives, I would take the option in a heartbeat. I never wanted her to meet Hunter.

"I remember when we all got here on our first day," she continued, glancing back down. "I definitely wasn't happy, but I definitely wasn't the only one. I mean, they moved us all the way across the country... to spend the rest of our senior year in a place that we didn't even know."

Jordan's voice grew louder, and I could see her smile grow bigger.

"We've lost a few classmates along the way," her voice shook a little, and I wasn't expecting her to talk about this. Would I be mentioned in it? "Both of them had come along with us back from California. One of them was Alexandria Quirk. She wasn't a great friend of mine, but she was good friends with an old friend of mine..."