V. The Pack Leader

Song: King in the North by Ramin Djawadi

Dark wings, dark words.

The phrase never rang more true than now.

They had all been gathered in Robb's tent, discussing what they were to do with their newfound hostage when the scroll was handed to Robb.

He unwrapped it carefully, and Fianna swore she had never seen a man struggle to keep his composure so much. His face had reddened considerably, his entire posture stiff.

"Robb, what is it?" Catelyn approached him, placing her hand on his arm comfortingly. All he could do was shove the paper that had flipped their world upside down, made every victory seem irrelevant, made every happy moment seem tainted, into his mother's small hands.

He rushed out of the tent. Fianna followed after him, sticking her head out of the tent to see where he was headed. She was even more confused at the sight of his retreating figure heading towards the forest.

She stepped back into the tent, looking over to Lady Catelyn who placed the scroll down on the table. Her face had considerably paled, her hands shaking as she placed it down. She closed her eyes for one prolonged moment and then opened them again.

"My lady?" She asked quietly, approaching her slowly.

"He's gone," was all she could say. Her eyes directly fixed on the scroll that was discarded on the table. Fianna plucked the paper up, gesturing to Lady Stark for permission to read it. Catelyn nodded her head once before leaving the tent too.

She unrolled the script, the Northern lords turning to her and waiting expectantly for her to read its contents.

Fianna's eyes widened as she read the words, her breathing becoming shallow in shock. She gently rolled the script up again, her wide eyes looking around to her fellow Lords.

"My Lords, it's news of Lord Stark. Eddard, that is," she mumbled vaguely, her eyes not really focusing on anything.

"Well? Spit it out girl!" Greatjon commanded of her. She sighed morosely and looked to him.

"He's been beheaded.. by King Joffrey," she told them. The silence lasted all of a minute before the eruption.

"How dare they! This is an act of war!"

"This cannot stand!"

"We must march on Kings Landing!"

"Kill the Kingslayer in honour of Lord Stark! Impale his head on a spike!"

"My lords!" Fianna cut them off with a loud, stern voice. "Lady Catelyn and Lord Stark are surely grieving their loss. You will give them time to heal and do not pester them with your ideas of revenge. When Lord Stark is ready to hear them, he will call a council meeting."