XXXVI. Fire and Blood

Song: See What I've Become by Zack Hemsey

Daenerys

For a city that was her own to rule, nobody ever told Daenerys how truly lonely it was. Being a ruler, that is.

She was stood at the balcony, looking out upon the beautiful sight before her. Meereen was a breathtaking city to behold, to be sure. But she still felt like a stranger here. Horribly detached and not belonging.

"Everyone looks quite happy from up here, I suppose," she commented to Ser Barristan, who she knew was a few feet behind her. He surprised her by letting out a low chuckle.

"What?" She questioned, turning to look at him with a curious smirk.

"I was thinking about all the times your brother made me go with him from the Red Keep down to the streets of Kings Landing," he told her, watching in amusement as her brows rose in surprise.

"Why would he do that?"

"He liked to walk among the people," he admitted, "he liked to sing to them."

"He sang to them?" She asked, her lips lifting up into a grin as she began to trail back inside.

"Yes! He would pick a spot on the street, and he would sing."

"And what did you do while he sang?"

Hearing about her estranged brother always made her heart flutter. All she had ever been told by Viserys was the stories of Rhaegar's gallantry and sword skills. Never anything about his personality. She found from her discussions with Ser Barristan, that he was becoming a man she looked up to. Finally, a relative that wasn't driven mad with a hunger for power.

"I made sure no one killed him!" He replied comically, causing her to laugh. "And I collected the money."

"He was good enough to get money?"

"Oh very good!" His tone turned from amused to a little more wistful as he continued. "A trait he got from his mother I reckon."

"Did she sing too?" Her voice lowered and her eyes widened, full of wonder. She always felt childlike when they discussed her mother. The enigmatic image she had of her in her head was comparable to that of a Goddess.

"Oh all the time, especially to Rhaegar and Viserys when they were babes," he smiled warmly at Daenerys, "however horrible your father was, your Grace, your mother was in equal parts angelic."

"I can't imagine what it was like for her to be wed to him," Daenerys murmured sadly.

"You have no idea," he raised his eyebrows knowingly, which Daenerys didn't miss.