LIV. The Second Dragonrider Part I

Robb

Robb

Robb Stark liked to think of himself as an enduring man. After all he had been through, it seemed only a correct conclusion.

But never before was his  physical endurance tested, than it had been above the wall. There was  one saving grace to his agony, though, and that was the fact that Gendry  - who he discovered was Robert Baratheon's bastard, was ten times colder than he was.

Robb had grown up in the  North, Winterfell was his native land and he had never spent longer  than a year in the south. Gendry, on the other hand, lived and breathed  Southern air since his first cry into the world. Unfortunately for the  rest of them, that meant the baseborn boy never stopped complaining  about it.

He blatantly ignored  Tormund's guide on staying warm, which he was currently reciting to  Gendry directly behind him, until he was addressed directly.

"'Tis a pity you didn't  allow your pretty woman to come along," Tormund called out to Robb,  who's eyes rolled up to the Heavens. "We would have made sure she was  kept warm, you know."

"Watch it," Jon warned him, knowing full well that Robb's patience was consistently on the verge of breaking.

"I'd imagine my wife would have been plenty warm at my side," Robb replied, his tone steady and seemingly uncaring.

"Maybe she'd prefer a Big Bear to a Young Wolf, eh?" He jibed, catching up to walk by his side and playfully elbowing him.

"I doubt she'd want to  be burned by that firecrotch," he fired back, corners of his lips  lifting into a smirk as he nodded towards the mass of ginger hair atop  Tormund's head. To his surprise, instead of getting angry, the wildling  laughed heartily.

"What about the Dragon Queen then, eh?" He continued, walking alongside Jon and Robb.

"She won't fight alongside us unless I bend the knee," Jon sighed in defeat.

"Which isn't going to  happen," Robb promptly reminded him. "She can rule over the white  walkers if she wants to stay out of the Great War, because that's all  that'll be left."

"You speak like the free  folk," Tormund spoke with mild admiration, "we're too proud to kneel.  But you know, Mance Raydar never bent the knee. How many of his people  died for his pride?"

"Not a matter of pride,"  Robb answered, although the comment was directed at Jon. "An alliance  can be made if she so pleases, but she came here to conquer seven  kingdoms, not five of them. The Starks will never again bend to the will  of the Targaryens or the Lannisters."

Jon stayed pointedly  silent, hearing both men's side on the matter, but his lack of  commentary worried Robb. The idea that he was considering it angered  him, but he had hoped their bond was strong enough that Jon would come  to him if he had decided to take such a path.