XXXV. Dreadfort Deliberations

Song: Control by Halsey

Leigha

The sounds of grunts had awoken all who slept nearby. This was a fort full of adults, who were accustomed to hearing the occasional groan of ecstasy. But this was altogether different, and prompted one of the nearby maids to investigate.

She followed the source of the noise until it led her to the room she knew housed the 'Broken Man', as the Dreadfort occupants had come to know him as.

Her hand shook as she hesitated to open the door, her curiosity getting the better of her in the end. Besides, now that she was closer she could hear soft cries of sadness as well. Perhaps there was someone in need of help.

The maiden opened the door a sliver, just enough to see inside. She finally saw the source of the noise, and wished with all her heart she stayed in bed. For this was an image that would stick with her.

The Broken Man had taken a fit of madness, it appeared. He stood, shirtless with his palms against the wall, unrelentingly bashing his forehead against the bricks.

It very obviously hurt him to do so, blood dripped down his face from his forehead and between hitting, he would let out a quiet sob. She couldn't stop herself from letting out a gasp at the sight, causing him to whirl around and catch her spying. Her mouth dropped in horror upon seeing the blood drip from a would in his head, down his nose and off his chin.

She sprinted barefoot back down the hallways to retreat back to her room, not even daring to look back at him out of fear. When she finally cornered around her adjacent chamber door, she flew inside, shut and locked it, and then resorted to pulling the covers over her head.

Leigha was absolutely terrified of the man, now more than before. What could send a man into such a blind fit that he would cause himself such physical harm?

Only a mad man could do such a thing.

-

Fianna

Babies, Fianna Stark would come to learn, were not her strongest point.

She was almost a master of all trades, being particularly gifted with a sword and good enough with a bow and arrow. Her sharp mind meant any plan she put forth was meticulous and rarely failed to execute well. But babies? Babies were where she faulted.

As Catelyn had pointed out to her all that time ago, Fianna never had a mother figure in her life. But she also never had any children. Tiernan was older than her so she never had to mind him. She had no siblings to speak of. When it came to maternal skills, she worried she was deprived completely.