LV. The King in the North Part I

Song: Running After My Fate by Jean-Pierre Taïeb (trust me on this one)

Fianna

The icy water she had been plunged into was a mind numbing shock through her system. It took her a few seconds to focus at all - too cold to move, or to even think.

When her lungs began to scream at her from the water she had already inhaled, her natural instincts began to kick in, before she even truly realised where she was or what had happened.

Fianna Stark began to kick violently in the water, the cold temporarily distracting her from the pain in her leg. She knew the second it crunched when she landed, that her leg had been broken. But none of her limbs would be of any use, if she were dead.

Desperately, she grappled through the lake, trying to reach the surface but feeling heavily weighed down. After a couple more seconds of trying, she realised that she was being physically held back, by her own clothing.

The warm fur coat she received at Dragonstone had done its job to keep her somewhat warm, but now it was only proving to be her downfall. Having to move quickly as her limbs began to numb with the cold, she tackled the buttons that held it in place, shrugging it off her shoulders.

With the barrier gone, she tried again to reach the surface, her lungs growing more and more painful the longer she stayed under, until she almost opened her mouth to inhale the water.

As if plunged by the gods themselves, an arm suddenly appeared above her, inserting itself through the gaping gap as if searching for something.

With a final burst of energy her body had been seemingly saving, Fianna kicked upward until she was close enough to grasp onto the hand. As if she were tied to a rope, the saviour used their conjoined grip to heave her upwards.

The second she hit the air it was as if she were being born again, opening her mouth to inhale the air in. She started to cough violently, excess water finding its way out of her throat.

Robb cried out when she reappeared, eyes widened with shock and heart racing so fast he was sure it would burst out of his chest. He reached toward his wife, gripping onto her forearms to keep her afloat and ensure she didn't slip back down.

After finally catching her breath, a shaking Fianna lunged for the ice sheet, clawing her way onto it and half-hauling herself out of the water with Robb's assistance. Now that she could breathe, and wasn't seconds from death, Fianna began to wail.

If her cheeks hadn't been so damp already, they would surely have been by now. Sobs fell from her lips, ones of fright and horror, but mainly of pure agony.