LX. The Sacrifice

Tiernan

Tiernan

Tiernan Bua didn't need to be a healer to know that his injury was fatal.

If it wasn't for the bucket of blood that had spilled from the tear along his neck, or the way he hadn't realised he had collapsed until all he saw was clouds above, Fianna's screams would have confirmed it.

He saw his cousin at her best and certainly at her worst - held her while she mourned her father, supported her when she thought Robb was gone, even dutifully waited outside while she gave birth to the Twins. But he had never heard his cousin scream and wail the way she was doing now.

"No, no, no!" She repeated over and over, dropping to her knees beside him and desperately covering his neck with her hands. It was futile, of course. But that was his cousin - stubborn.

"Tiernan-" she cried, shaking violently from both shock and horror. The man could physically feel the life draining from his body, but he still pushed himself to use his last bit of energy to try and talk.

"I-I'm s-s... sorry," his lips hitched every time he spoke, breathing becoming restricted as blood pooled in his throat.

"No, no! Don't be sorry!" She shook her head, tears cascading down her dirt-coated cheeks and leaving thin streaks in their wake. "You're going to be just fine!"

"T-then... why- why are you crying?" He sputtered, beginning to cough violently. This was it, he don't know how he knew but he knew. Death was coming for him. Tiernan could practically smell it enveloping around him.

Heartbroken, Fianna cupped his blood-stained cheeks, trying to get him to focus on her as his eyes began to blankly fixate above her, on the clouds once more. Tiernan had once been told that when a man died he saw brief flashes of his life lived, all in a matter of seconds. He didn't know if that was what he was experiencing now, but he was too at peace to concentrate on any justifiable cause.

5..

The dark clouds above his head had transformed into white and fluffy ones, blocking out the shining sun above. A child's laughter rang in his ear, and when his eyes followed it's source, he saw a little girl running away from him. Long dark hair cascaded down her back, and when she turned to look over her shoulder, he saw her beaming expression and grey eyes.

4..

A woman with hair as long as her torso sat him down in her lap, humming a song he recognised as they sat together in front of the fire.

3..

A door was opened at the end of the hallway, with maids and servants gathered around and screaming in horror. One covered her eyes and fled from the scene - but he wasn't put off. He had to push through the adults to reach the doorway, their elbows knocking against his head. When he finally arrived, his entire body froze as if plunged into an icy lake. The same woman who had just sat him in her lap and doted upon him had blood coating her forearms, slumped lifelessly against the side of her bed.