LIII. Stubborn Northerners

Fianna

Fianna

"I THOUGHT BRAN WAS DEAD," Jon muttered, seemingly to himself, as he stared at the ground in absolute shock. Robb had ripped the scroll from his hands moments before, and was now reading its contents with furrowed brows.

He angled it toward Fianna, who read alongside him, appearing equally as concerned. What a strange reality they lived in now - where once she was convinced all of the Stark children were dead, and now none were.

"I'm happy for you both," Daenerys interjected, sounding anything but. Fianna sensed that the Queen held no attachment to the Starks she had never met, and saw this revelation as a crutch that Jon could use to leave her.

Their party was silent after that, taking in the news with a heavy heart. They had been at Dragonstone mere days, and even still it felt too long to be away from their home. Especially when home needed them the most.

"I'm sure you are," Robb muttered under his breath, handing the letter back to Jon to run his hand over his face in distress.

"None of you look happy," she remarked, prompting Fianna to throw her a cautious glare.

"Bran saw the Night King marching with his army towards Eastwatch," Jon spoke up, finding his voice. "If they break through the wall-"

"The wall has kept them out for thousands of years, presumedly," Varys cut him off, a rather eerie man - there was something about him that never settled quite right within Fianna.

"And what?" She replied. "If Wildings can make it over, who's to say a horde of supernatural creatures immune to the cold won't?"

"Jon, Fianna and I are going home, we're going to defend our families and our Kingdom," Robb added, his tone firm and leaving no room for debate. Daenerys visibly tensed, not looking excited for that prospect.

"But, you said you don't have the men," she tried to reason.

"Then we'll fight with the men we have," Jon shrugged, "unless you'll join us?"

Fianna met her eye, silently pleading with her, knowing the Queen's fondness for her. But it was futile, as she merely turned her eyes away and shook her head slightly.  

"And give the country to Cersei?" She asked incredulously. "As soon as I march away, she marches in."

"Neither of you will have land to fight over if we don't stop them, you do realise that?" Fianna raised an eyebrow.