XV. Ready Reunions

Song: Oceans by Seafret

Tiernan

As each day passed, he grew less and less trusting of Theon. He closed his eyes in annoyance and held himself back when that damned horn sounded out again. The Bolton's rang out a horn every once in a while to "intimidate the Ironborns".

He didn't know if it had intimidated them, but he did know he was ready to break the horn bearer in half.

When they finally approached Winterfell, Ramsay had kindly "suggested" that the Bua forces surround the walls while his own infiltrated Winterfell. Like they didn't deserve to be at the forefront of the battle.

Tiernan had kindly "reminded" him that his priority was the Stark boys, not to capture escaped Ironborns that managed to slip through their fingers.

In the end, Ramsay had won out. The Greyjoy force was minuscule compared to theirs, they didn't necessarily need Tiernan and his men on the inside fighting. It made Tiernan's skin itch. He knew that they were wrong to trust the Bolton's, even if they didn't do anything in particular to make him feel that way. Growing up as a lowborn son made him distrustful and eliminated any naivety he had.

So he waited patiently outside, the sounds of shouts and clambering echoing from the walls of Winterfell like ghosts. There were few who escaped and those who did were taken by the Bua force immediately thereafter.

After around an hour, all was quiet. And Tiernan had decided enough was enough. Smoke had begun to billow out from the walls of the castle, causing a couple men to cough and darkening the sky, ashes from the fire would lay down and blacken their skin.

Tiernan rode by horse up to the gates and turned to look at his most trusted knight. "I'm going to go inside to see what the situation is."

"I'll come with you," Conor spoke determinedly. The two had become quiet close since Tiernan had taken over duties of Baelfort, and Conor had previously swore his life to protecting the Lord, or Lady, of Baelfort.

Tiernan nodded in response and the two ventured past the gates.

Inside was an absolute blood bath. Dead bodies littered the grounds, the buildings within the castle walls were burning brightly and some had already been burned to the ground.

Tiernan whipped his head around in confusion. They had been given orders to allow free any Ironborn who gave in, but for as far as he could see, not one had survived. The Ironborn were merciless but they were also selfish, they would not have given their lives for a coward such as Theon Greyjoy.

Ramsay was at the centre of the disaster, strolling casually around the bodies as if he were taking a stroll through a field of daisies. Tiernan eyed him carefully.

"My lord..." Conor murmured in shock, Tiernan turned to him and followed the man's gaze, whipping his head around to see.

His mouth and eyes widened at the sight of two small bodies, the size of children and charred beyond recognition, hanging from the walls.