XLII. Shadow of Death

Song: Through the Valley by Shawn James

Arya

Arya crept down into the shadows, waiting patiently. Her wounds were beginning to heal, but crouching down still strained them. Occasionally, she would bite her lip to keep from hissing in pain.

Admittedly, if she wasn't aware she had a place to go for refuge in Westeros, perhaps she wouldn't be so eager to leave Braavos. But none the less, it had to be done. She had been betrayed, almost killed. This place was never a home for her and now she knew it for sure.

Arya Stark was too proud of her name and identity to ever renounce it completely.

Footsteps echoed throughout the hall, Arya held her breath to avoid making so much as an exhale.

She watched from the shadows as Jaqen noticed the trail of blood, immediately suspicious but following it anyway.

Finally, he seen what she wanted him to see. The face of the Waif, separated entirely from her head and draped over the stone head of another.

As Jaqen was taken with the display, Arya brought forth Needle and approached him from behind, angling the tip of the blade towards his head.

"You told her to kill me," she spoke, informing him of her presence. He turned slowly, having the decency to at least look a little guilty.

"Yes," Jaqen admitted. "But here you are, and there she is."

Arya's chest tightened as he turned and walked forwards until his chest pressed against the end of her sword.

"Finally, a girl is no one."

"A girl is Arya Stark, of Winterfell," Arya spoke proudly, finding it freeing to accept her identity after months of denying it. "And I'm going home."

Jaqen's lips turned up in a smirk, his head bobbing in a single nod.

"Does a girl have a home to go back to?" He asked, raising his eyebrows mockingly.

"I'm going to my sister," Arya dropped her arm and shoved Needle into a holding by her hip. Turning, she walked away from Jaqen - not even daring to look back.

"Are you sure Sansa is even alive?" He called out to her.

"I never said it was Sansa," she muttered under her breath, making her way towards the exit and leaving Jaqen H'gar, once and for all.

-

Fianna

"Are you all set to leave, Paulina?" Fianna kindly asked her wet nurse, who cradled Eddie in her arms as Fianna held Aifric.