XXVI. Broken Crown

Song: Broken Crown by Mumford & Sons

Tiernan

"I can't do it!" Rickon shouted in frustration, throwing his bow down to the ground like the child he was. To further his tantrum, he crossed his arms over his chest and literally huffed aloud.

"Yes you can, little man," Tiernan tried to soothe him, approaching the young boy and crouching down to his height.

He wasn't accustomed to this, the only child he ever spent time around was Fianna and that was when he himself was a child, too. Tiernan never thought much on having children of his own, he assumed it would happen eventually but in the far future.

Rickon's... caretaker was there, shadowing him as she always did. Tiernan barely spoke words to her, and Osha barely spoke words to him. They lived in a mutual silence and they were both happy with that.

At the beginning, Osha never left Rickon's side for even a second. She didn't know how much she could trust the Buas, so she greeted them with as much animosity as she met any Southerner, well anyone South of the Wall.

Tiernan knew he should feel weary of her, wildlings were massively frowned upon in Westeros. They were considered savage beasts and weren't permitted to live South of the wall, as they were too much of a danger. But he couldn't find it in himself to hate her, he remembered all too well those around the castle who would whisper about his low born father, they would doubt Tiernan as a leader and say that he didn't deserve the highborn upbringing Cillian gave him.

He may not have felt much about Osha, but he had on a number of occasions put a stop to those who felt the need to toss insults at her and whisper about her.

In the meantime, Tiernan had taken to teaching Rickon how to sword fight and how to master at archery. He himself didn't excel with a sword, but he was above average with a bow and arrow. Sword fighting was Fianna's expertise, it always had been, even when Tiernan grew taller and stronger than her, she could still overpower him any day.

"No, I can't," Rickon protested stubbornly, breaking Tiernan from his thoughts.

"Well can anyone in your family do it?" Tiernan probed.

"Everyone in my family can do it, even Arya! And she's a girl!"

"Arya is older than you." Tiernan rolled his eyes, refusing to take him on in his tantrums which were more often than not. "And you have to practise, you're never going to learn if you throw your bow away every time you miss. Now pick it up and try again."

Rickon glared at him furiously, roughly picking it back up and taking a few steps back. He positioned himself accordingly, following Tiernan's instructions.