XXXIV. Vexing Visions

Song: Saturn by Sleeping at Last

Tiernan

The pain of childbirth, Tiernan Brady would soon discover, was not always constant - it came in waves. After Fianna had doubled over in pain, mere seconds later she stood upright and claimed to be fine again.

He had tried to carry her, should the pain return, all the while calling out for the maester at Baelfort. But Fianna was nothing if not stubborn, batting his hands away and waddling back inside all of her own accord.

The maester advised her to go upstairs to her bed where he could examine her - she accepted (reluctantly, but for her baby's sake) and trudged upstairs.

Minutes into relaxing into her sheets, the pain returned. Causing an ear-splitting wail to sound out from her, nails digging into the bed.

"That sounded like the pains of childbirth, your grace," Maester Janos advised her, receiving a glare from the woman herself and a gesture of her hands that insinuated the phrase, "you think?!"

"I should leave the room," Tiernan said awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck and moving to leave.

"Not yet," she called back, her voice slightly hoarser than before, "just stay for a while. Please."

He nodded, after all, how could he deny a woman in labour? Instead of leaving, he sat himself in a stool next to her bed as the maester left again, claiming it would be some time before she was ready to have the babe. An awkward silence befell them.

"So..." Tiernan began, desperate to fill the silence, "does it hurt really bad?"

Fianna looked at him deadpan before spewing in a monotonous voice, "fucking obviously, Tiernan."

"I hope when the babe arrives it takes your moods with it," he couldn't refrain from commenting, rolling his eyes.

"What is that supposed to mean?" She spat in offence. Tiernan had two options, tell her now and get it over with while they were confined in the room, or wait until a more appropriate time. Unfortunately for them both, he was never one to hold back for long.

"You know exactly what I mean. You come back here, acting as if nothing has changed and you're the Lady of Baelfort again and I let it happen because you were obviously traumatised. But now you're Queen in the North and you've gone power mad, Fianna.

"You never talk to anyone about anything that isn't about taking down Roose Bolton or killing Walder Frey. All of your plans revolve around your revenge and it sickens me, you've gone power crazy, Fianna. You're not the girl you once were, you're not this Mad Queen."