LVII. A Renegade King

SONG: Basic Instinct by The Acid

Jon

Jon Snow expected to be met with cold reactions upon arriving back at Winterfell, but he didn't quite expect the level that the North was bringing. The sounds of the Unsullied's marching feet was all he could hear, and while he wasn't expecting cheers, he didn't expect for every Northern face to be looking away from him in both shame and disapproval.

Convincing them to pledge fealty to Daenerys would be difficult, but he hoped Sansa's influence would help in that matter. The thought of seeing Robb's face again crossed his mind often, and he found himself guiltily hoping that Robb and Fianna had retired to Baelfort.

Seeking comfort, he cast a glance towards Daenerys, who returned his gaze with the slightest of smiles. Their relationship had amplified since their moment on the boat, and Jon found her stirring feelings inside of him he hadn't felt since, well, since Ygritte.

A booming screech and vast shadow overcast them, prompting Jon to tilt his head back and marvel as Drogon soared overhead. It was almost comical how the Northerners screamed and ducked in fright, but his amusement soon subsided when he saw a mother curl her arms around a crying little girl. He hadn't considered until now the real terror they probably still felt from the Targaryen reign, and how much more amplified that fear would be when the latest Targaryen conqueror also came equipped with two dragons.

Yes, this would be difficult indeed.

When finally the journey was over and they had reached Winterfell, Jon hopped off his horse with excitement. He hadn't seen Bran in eight years, and the prospect of seeing him again made him want to sprint toward them. Daenerys walked leisurely, a stiffness in her posture he didn't fail to pick up on. He had never seen the Targaryen so out of her own comfort zone, and the piercing eyes of those surrounding her had clearly caused her to become standoffish. That, and the prospect of meeting the rest of the Starks.

❄️

Sansa

Sansa Stark had seen so many dastardly things in her short lifetime, she had almost become numb to shock. But the sight of a dragon soaring over her home was still enough to catch her breath in her throat.

The redhead had been stood atop the Winterfell walls, watching as the large army flooded down the roads and looking for a glimpse of the Queen that had stirred up so much trouble.

"Seven fucking Hells!" Tiernan shouted from next to her, crouching lowly from fright while she remained standing tall, unwavering. "Remind me never to piss off the Targaryen!"