XVIII. Take This Man

Song: Hotel Sayre by Craig Armstrong and Lana Del Rey

Fianna

The instant they rode across the river inside the large walls of Riverrun, Arya took her horse into a gallop and sped past Robb and Fianna - the most eager of them all to be there.

Many of the men accompanying them had believed the trip to Riverrun to be pointless, but Fianna realised that was absolutely untrue when she saw the look on Arya's face. It was the most childlike she had seen the girl, and for a second, she looked her age. Instead of a girl who was forced to grow up too soon.

When she saw her mother, standing there in the courtyard trying to refrain herself from running forward to meet her daughter, Arya Stark had cried. It had been so long since she had cried, years now. The last time she cried was at her father's execution, and here she was in tears again because she was finally reunited with the mother she never thought she'd see again.

Arya sped forward, and Catelyn let out a sob, opening her arms wide and crouching down for Arya to come to her. The news of Bran and Rickon took Catelyn hard, and accompanied with her father's ill health, she looked years older than when Fianna had last saw her.

Catelyn and Arya hugged so tightly, Fianna was sure that one was going to crush the other. They stayed like that for a while, tears streaming down their faces and Fianna felt emotional all of a sudden. An emotional reconnection like that, between mother and daughter, was never one she'd experience. Save for the children she herself would have.

After a while, Robb had been patiently waiting for their reunion to finish. When it did, and the two rose to a stand, Catelyn wrapped her arm around Arya and held her there until she faced her eldest son.

Their reunion was cold, Robb was angry with her. Extremely angry. But she was still his mother and he owed her that respect. So he nodded to her and she nodded in return. Arya glanced back and forth between the two, desperate to know what was going on.

"Mother," Robb greeted in a cool tone.

"Robb," she replied, her throat tight.

With that, Edmure Tully approached Robb, eager to discuss battle strategies and the matter of Lord Hoster's condition.

Catelyn looked to Fianna then, and if she thought her son was cold, Fianna was winter herself. Fianna stared straight into Catelyn's eyes with such a fierceness, she felt as though she would spontaneously combust into flames at any moment.

Breaking their moment, Fianna clicked her tongue for her dog to follow and stared at Catelyn the entire time she walked until she entered the castle, directed by a servant who was to lead her to her chambers.

Catelyn gulped uneasily, she had a lot of explaining and apologising to do. But for now, her primary concern was tending to Arya.