• T H I R T Y - T H R E E •

C O M A

My heart hurts.

It hurts a lot.

I walk away from the others as they stand and talk to the doctors. "She went into a coma..." I blanked out after those words. My mind became blank and nothing was clear to me anymore.

I swallowed the big lump in my throat and walked out the hospital into the dark night. I walk around the building and leaned against the wall and let the tears fall free.

I sobbed.

I cried.

I cried for my best friend.

I slumped against the wall until my I hit the ground. I brought my knees up and buried my head in my knees and let my tears follow.

"Sophia."

"Leave me alone." My voice was muffled.

"It wasn't your fault Sophia." Harper placed a hand on my shoulder but I flinched.

"Everyone around me gets hurt, Harper." I looked up at her. Pain in her eyes. Carter and Caden stood directly behind Harper while Danny, Alex, Marissa and blaze stood behind them.

"No, they don't." She said looking down at me softly.

"Don't you remember the fire." I snapped standing up. She shook her head, "that wasn't your fault."

"Not that fire Harper." I spat, a look realisation came over her as she took a step back

"No, that wasn't your fault either." She sighed.

"It was, I was the one that set the fire in the orphanage," I screamed as tears rolled down my cheeks.

"I remember that night over and over again," I whispered.

"James hurt Jace and now Maria. He hurt your father before and I'm not going to let him hurt anyone else." I said.

"No." Harper shook her head, "I'm not going to let you do that." She grabbed my arm I moved away from her and dried my tears.

"I have to go," I mumbled running off not turning back.

Flashback to earlier

"James." I hiss holding my gun up.

"Sophia, how great it is to see you again." He smiled like a maniac.

"What on earth are you doing here?" I ask him as the other walk into the room.

"Well, I found out you came to New York, so I just had to come and create some trouble for you. I will make your life a living hell Sophia until I get what I want." He said as one of his men quickly grabbed Maria.

"Maria," I yell moving forward but he holds the gun up to her forehead. Her body shakes with sobs as tears fall down her cheeks.

"Stay back or I'll shoot." He threatens.

My arm gets pulled back, Carter pulls me beside him.

"Don't." I plead him.

"Too bad Sophia, I'm going to hurt everyone you know until I get what I want. Goodbye Maria." He chuckles.

A gunshot goes off as Maria collapses to the ground clutching her bleeding stomach. James is out the door before I had a chance to grab him.

"Maria," I shout falling to the floor as her eyes begin to flutter shut. "Don't you dare close your eyes, Maria. Or I'll kill you my self." I shake her body.