Chapter One

*Troye's POV*

I tried desperately to sink even further into the cushions of the couch, wishing I could just meld into them and escape the horribly awkward situation I currently found myself in. Okay, so it wasn't actually that horribly awkward, but I could still think of things I'd rather be doing. My mother had decreed family night a thing last week, and this was our first official meeting. She said it was because some of us weren't reaching our full potential socially, that some of us could benefit from a bit more human interaction. I knew damn well that she meant me when she said 'some of us'. I also knew these forced family game nights and heart-to-hearts weren't going to benefit me in any way at all. But I went along with it, of course. Anything to make her happy. If she believed it would help then let her believe it. 

"Uno!" I cringed at my dad's shriek, though I plastered a smile on my features for everyone else's sake. They were all laughing, so I guess that was the reasonable thing to do. I laughed quietly, not wanting to stand out from the rest of them. It was strange how I thought like this even around my family, but I guess it was instinct. 

"Troye, do you mind running to the store for me? I totally forgot red peppers for the quesadillas!" I perked up excitedly, my eyes immediately darting to where my mother was standing in the doorway. I cast one final glance in the direction of the coffee table covered in colorful cards, my decision already made.

"Not at all, I'll be back in a few!" I said happily, hopping to my feet and leaving the sitting area. I looked back at the rest of my family though, taking time to study each of their features. Steele, who was only visiting from college, had his eyes fixed on the television across the room watching some type of sport. Sage had her eyes fixed on her phone screen, likely texting one of her many friends. She's the socialite of the family. And then there was my youngest sibling Tyde, the only one who was actually focused on the childish game in front of him. I had to admire how he held onto his innocence so well, almost living in his own happy little bubble. Lastly, my eyes falling on my father. I jumped slightly, surprised to see him looking back at me. He narrowed his eyes at me questioningly and I rushed to cover up my unease, taking a step toward him and patting his balding head teasingly.

He's trying to get out of this on purpose, the little shit. 

I blinked rapidly, wincing slightly at the sudden mind intrusion. I guess it was my fault though, you'd think I'd know to avoid physical contact like it was the plague by now. I quickly regained my composure though, giving him a weak smile before heading into the kitchen. I found my mother exactly where I expected, swinging her hips to some cringe-worthy country song in front of the stove. It was nothing new though, this was what I found nearly every time I entered the kitchen. She didn't have a job considering Dad's paid a reasonable amount, so she was constantly trying new hobbies to keep herself busy. So far her favorite, and the only one that she's stuck with for any amount of time, is cooking.

"Hey, Mum." I said softly, hopping up onto the counter beside where she was working. She shot me a glare, her silent way of reminding me just how much she hated it when I did this. She used to actually snap at me and force me to get down, but after countless bickering she'd more or less given up on getting me to listen to her. I wasn't even sure why it was so hard for me to give the spot up, I guess it was just my stubborn nature coming through. I got it from her, so you'd think she'd be more understanding.

"I kinda need the keys to go anywhere." I gently reminded her, smirking when realization dawned across her features. She slapped a flour-covered hand to her forehead, mumbling nonsense about what an idiot she was sometimes as she headed over to the table. She grabbed her purse, digging around before retrieving the keys and a wad of bills.