Chapter Fifty-Nine

*Tyler's POV* 

Troye's family surprised me when they stayed silent the rest of the drive, giving us time to stop being flustered and move back close to each other. It didn't all happen at once, the both of us just slowly moving closer as the minutes passed, ending up pressed tightly to each other's sides. I was almost disappointed when we pulled into his driveway, knowing this meant detaching from my comfortable position curled up to him, leeching his heat while enjoying him being so close.

"Everyone head inside while we take the tree off! Get ready to decorate it!" I heard Troye groan softly beside me, making it clear just how much he enjoyed this step of the process. I loved decorating, biting my lip as I debated what I was supposed to do next. Technically he hadn't invited me to stay longer and I didn't want to impose. Should I just leave? It's better than being that annoying guest that overstays his welcome.

I got out of the vehicle with the rest of his siblings, noticing how Sage and Tyde immediately ran for the house while Troye idled beside the van. I decided this must be a sign he was trying to hint at me leaving, going in to hug him goodbye. He stumbled a bit like he hadn't been expecting the gesture, though he immediately squeezed me back once he got his footing.

"What's this about?" He whispered, his lips brushing against the top of my ear as he lifted me just barely off the ground, his arms giving out after a second and letting me slip back down. I shrugged my shoulders, muttering my answer into his shoulder.

"A goodbye hug." He tensed then, grabbing handfuls of my sweater. His response took a few seconds, like he was having trouble figuring out how to word it.

"Are you leaving already?"

"Don't you want me to?" I asked cautiously, not wanting to pry but also surprised by how disappointed he sounded over my departure.

"Not really. I mean, I know decorating the tree isn't very fun but we can just ditch to my room if you really don't want-"

"No! Well, I do- Want to decorate the tree, I mean." I groaned out loud at how embarrassing I was, ashamed of myself for stuttering over my words the way I did. What happened to the composed and confident act I could normally rely on? Was it really that easy for Troye to steal it from me?

However he seemed amused by my state, giggling before backing out of the extended hug. He still had that cloud nine smile on his lips and I was beginning to wonder if it'd ever falter. I definitely wouldn't be complaining if I got to see him smiling all the time, a big wide toothy grin like this one.

"Then what the hell are we doing out here freezing our butts off? Come on." He laughed, throwing an arm around my shoulders and squeezing me to his side. He led us both into the house, not once looking back to check his parent's reactions. I was still shocked by how confident he seemed to be all the sudden, completely throwing our usual relationship off balance. Again though, I wasn't complaining, it felt good to give the control up for a change and let someone else call the shots.

I was still snuggled into his side when we walked into the house, likely more than I had been before. I'd gotten colder with each step out there, meaning by the time we reached the door I was practically freezing, trying to leech as much heat as possible from him.

We kicked our shoes off and walked into the living room still entangled, my lips turning down into a momentary frown when I saw all the boxes still piled over his couches, meaning I couldn't throw myself onto them. I was quickly put at ease though, smiling ear to ear as he led me over to the fireplace. I was thankful to find it was an electric fireplace that could be immediately turned on, sighing contently as I sunk down to sit on the floor in front of it. I was too caught up in warming up to realize when Troye left my side, only noticing just when he settled down next to me. He handed me a throw pillow he must have gone to get off the couch, my entire body thanking him as I slid it under me rather than the cold hard floor. It wasn't until I was completely settled with my legs crossed and feet tucked in underneath me that he handed me the next gift, my hands clapping together once in excitement before snatching the package of cookies out of his hand.