Chapter Sixty

*Troye's POV* (disclaimer: I've never been drunk so if it doesn't seem realistic fuck you I tried)

I'm not nervous. Why would I be nervous to walk up to Tyler's door and pick him up? I've done it countless times before for school or hanging-out, this is absolutely no different. Well, it's a little bit different. I've never been in a tuxedo while walking up to his door before, and this is the first time I've been here since we, well, since whatever you call that whole mistletoe mess a couple days ago. 

Deciding I'd been sitting in my car way longer than what would be considered normal I took a deep breath and reached for the handle, refusing to stop like I did last time. Somehow I actually did manage to get myself out the door and start across his lawn, only realizing when I was situated on his doorstep ready to knock how well I'd been doing. That was when I started to freak out again, imagining all the ways it could go wrong. What if the clocks in my house are all off and I'm an hour early? What if he misunderstood our plans and thought he was supposed to pick me up instead? What if-

"Troye!" I breathed out an unexpected sigh of relief when the door flew open to reveal Jackie, in a comfortable looking pair of pajamas and a housecoat. Well, it's not like she had any reason to dress up for the occasion. "Well don't just stand there! Come in!"

"Sorry." I muttered instinctively, shuffling into the house just far enough that she could close the door behind me. She wrapped an arm around my waist, likely to guide me into the kitchen.

Aw! Look at his tuxedo! Tyler is going to swoon when he sees him!

If it was even possible I found myself blushing harder, wondering if she was right. I hadn't really put much thought into the outfit, simply wearing the first thing my mother pointed out when we went to the shops. Come to think of it, I probably should have thought about whether he'd like it or not. I hope he does.

 "Tyler's still getting ready, leave it to him. It's not like he wears make-up, I have no idea what takes him so long every day." Jackie laughed, walking over to hop up on the counter across the room. I just nodded, staring down at the table with the beginnings of a insistent smile tugging at my lips that refused to be held at bay. Just thinking of Tyler getting ready was enough to cause it, especially knowing he was spending all that time getting ready to go to a dance with me. 

"He's a bit of a perfectionist." I muttered, my supposed-to-be-annoyed tone coming out as something incredibly lovable despite myself. I noticed her answering smile, but she didn't seem to want to call me out on it as she hopped down from her perch, shaking her head as she walked across the room.

"You're telling me." She laughed, pausing to grip the doorway and lean out into the hallway, shouting calmly down it. "Ty, hun, are you almost ready?"

"No! My outfit's too black!" He shouted back instantly, the stupid smile returning when I heard his over-dramatic tone. While I hadn't put any thought into my outfit, he seemed to be completely over-thinking his.

"I'm sure it's fine." She called back, sounding a bit exasperated with his actions now. It was clear she'd been trying to convince him of this for a while now, just in the exhausted way she spoke.

"Look, I look like I just walked out of a funeral, not into the winter formal!" He replied, my eyes going wide as I registered the fact his voice was closer. I quickly turned in my chair, grinning eagerly as I watched Jackie react to where he obviously was in the hallway. Thankfully though, he didn't stop there, continuing into the kitchen with his face scrunched up in total annoyance. However, the expression seemed to vanish upon seeing me there, turning to one of shock as he looked back to his mother. "Why didn't you tell me he was here?!"