Chapter Nine

*Troye's POV*

Shane actually proved to be a pretty decent guy. We talked about a couple movies and he told me about how he wants to be a director when he's older. It was the first real conversation I'd had with someone other than family in forever. We likely would have talked even longer if Mrs. Smith didn't walk up to us and scold us for loitering in the halls after school hours. With that, we both started walking toward the exit beside each other, the conversation still carrying on.

"So, why haven't I seen you around at all before if we've both been here the last three years?"

"I, uh, I'm not exactly the sociable type." I mumbled, instinctively taking a step away from him and clutching my backpack tighter to my chest. My eyes fell to the floor, but a moment later his face appeared in my sights, as he'd annoyingly bent over to make eye contact with me. 

"Really? You could have fooled me!" He laughed, standing back up straight. I gave a weak smile, more to myself than to him. We continued in silence until we came to my car, and I leaned against the door.

"Thanks for trying to stand up for me earlier, by the way." He mumbled, his brash demeanor clouding over as he shyly looked down at the ground. I bit my lip nervously, not liking the feeling of responsibility he'd put on my shoulders here. I didn't even do anything really.

"But I didn't help anything, you still ended up getting beat up." 

"Yeah, but you tried, you didn't just turn the other way and let it happen. That's sort of what most people do, you know."

"Well, I am nothing like most people." 

"I can tell. Anyone else would be looking over their shoulder constantly while talking to me, embarrassed to be seen with the 'gay' boy." He said, quirking his eyebrows at the word 'gay'. I couldn't help but chuckle slightly at his annoyed expression, hoping he didn't take it the wrong way.

"That's because they're vain idiots that care more about their social status than their own emotions." I said matter-of-factly. He seemed intrigued now, staring at me with curious blue eyes, framed by black bruises. It still made me nauseous thinking that Tyler had put them there.

"And you don't?" My eyebrows shot up, realizing I'd stupidly got lost in my head again. I had to wonder if this was the first time Shane had asked me the question, looking at his annoyed hard expression.

"No! No, of course not." I said hurriedly, my eyes flickering to my car longingly. I liked Shane to an extent, but like anyone, I had my limits to how much I wanted to interact with him. There was an uncanny silence then, and I was about to mumble some excuse about having to get home when he started laughing to himself. I looked at him with a confused expression, pouting my lip out as I wondered what was so funny.

"Sorry, it's just really weird to think of you having a crush on Tyler after actually talking to you. You guys would never work out." He giggled, flipping his long hair out of his eyes. I gave an awkward chuckle, forcing my lips to strain into a smile. Why was it so laughable? I mean, I realize it would never in a million years work out and I wouldn't want it to, but why's it so funny to him?

"You guys are complete polar opposites!"

"But don't opposites attract?" I blurted, immediately regretting it when his eyes lit up, the same way any highschooler's did when they heard new gossip. I backed up even further into the car, despite there still be stray water drops on the frame. I couldn't care though, I just wanted to blend in with it and disappear from the awkward situation.

"Oh... I didn't realize. Sorry, Troye... I'm sure there's still a good chance that-"

"No! I didn't mean it like- Ugh, I've got to go, my parents are going to be wondering where I am." I lied, knowing they'd be nothing but happy that I wasn't home on time. They were probably jumping to conclusions already, thinking I was making 'friends'.