Chapter Five

*Troye's POV*

I squeezed my eyes shut, concentrating solely on the serenity of the silent moment. I wasn't sure if I'd get another moment of peace until the final bell rang, so I figured I'd better take advantage of it. Outside there were already people flooding everywhere, which sort of ruined my plan to get here early before the crowds got out of hand. By the looks of it my only other option was to be late, seeing as there was no way I was stepping foot in a gym full of the entire school. So instead, here I was, sitting in my car looking like I was having a panic attack as I waited for the time to pass. I had gotten the odd weird glance from passerby's but I tried to ignore it. I was doing a pretty good job too, until I heard a loud knock on the glass of my window. I furrowed my brow, opening my eyes curiously. I groaned aloud seeing Mrs. Smith standing outside, glaring in at me with her beady eyes. Great. 

"Please tell me you aren't intending to skip classes on the first day of school young man." I hadn't even bothered to roll down my window and I could still hear her obnoxiously loud voice clearly. I sighed, rolling it down a crack to reply.

"No, I'm just getting my thoughts together. I'll head inside in a moment." I said, giving her a curtly nod. She didn't seem convinced though, leaning forward to examine the entire car wordlessly. She didn't move, just her dark, nearly black, eyes. She was almost scary looking, like some sort of gargoyle vulture.

"You're not doing anything drug related, are you? You look a little out of it." She observed, curling her lip up in distaste. I discreetly rolled my eyes, just wishing she would leave me alone. So much for enjoying the calm before the storm. I flickered my eyes back to her, narrowing them slightly. 

"No, ma'am. I assure you I'm completely into it." I snapped, flashing a toothy smile. It wasn't like me to be so sassy or even really talk to people if I could avoid it, but the stress was beginning to get to my head. She clicked her tongue once, reaching into her pocket and grabbing a slip of paper. My heart dropped.

"You can look forward to detention after school, where I'm sure you'll have lots of time to get your thoughts together." She handed me the small note and I snatched it from her hands quietly, accepting defeat. That was about the second any and all of my hopes for a good day flooded out of my system. Just what I wanted, to tack on yet another hour to the time I had to spend in peril. Hopefully not many kids were stupid enough to get themselves stuck with detention on the first day. 

I looked up from the piece of paper, annoyed to see she was still standing there with a smug look on her face. I was about to make another short-tempered comment that would surely only lengthen the amount of time I had to spend in this horrible place, when a loud interruption saved me from myself.

"Watch out!" Someone screamed, their voice so high it felt like daggers piercing my ears. I careened my neck forward, trying to get a glimpse of what the hell was going on outside. Just as I seen the mop of brown hair charging Mrs. Smith let out a loud cry of shock. My eyebrows quirked, confused for a moment before realizing a goat had just headbutted her behind. What even is my life at this point? 

"Mrs. Smith! Are you alright?" A woman cried, likely the same one who'd shouted the warning considering her voice was the familiar high-pitched squeal. Mrs. Smith's face was completely horrified and I couldn't help but think detention was worth it just to see her like this. I watched as the other woman lunged, throwing her arms around the goat's neck before he could run off to wreak any more havoc. It let out a chorus of baa's before settling down, just glaring at her menacingly. My eyes slowly trailed back to Mrs. Smith, actually feeling a little guilty now, seeing that her expression still hadn't changed.

"Are you okay?" I asked, genuinely concerned. When she still didn't reply I opened the door, careful to keep it from hitting her, and hovered next to her worriedly.