Chapter Four

*Tyler's POV* 

"Mom." I whispered, shaking her gently. Her alarm had gone off twenty minutes ago but she just looked so freaking tired, I turned it off and decided to let her sleep in a bit. I wasn't sure if she'd be mad or grateful, but I did know it was necessary. She shifted, flailing an arm out awkwardly.

"Ty? What do you want?" She grumbled, rolling over to bury her face into the pillows. 

"Time to get up! I made you breakfast, it's in the kitchen."

"What is it?" She asked skeptically, raising her head just enough to look at me. I couldn't help but giggle considering all of her messy hair had fallen into her eyes and she looked more like a shaggy stray dog than my mother. I sat down on the edge of the bed beside her, crossing my legs.

"Eggs and bacon. I've got to head out in a couple minutes, school. You're gonna get up though, right?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at her. She glared back, but only for a second before letting out a defeated huff.

"Ugh, fine." She mumbled, sitting up and kicking the blankets right off the bed. "...But only because I want to see my baby off on his last first day of school."

"Mom!" I scolded, squirming when she threw her arms around me. Eventually I gave in though, just letting her hug me for awhile. I slumped my head against her shoulder, letting my eyes droop shut. I was really not used to getting up this early.

"Are you excited to see all your friends again? You haven't exactly been hanging out with them much this summer." She observed, patting my back comfortingly. I shrugged into the embrace, though I was actually very certain of my answer. I'd have a heavy cloud of dread hanging over me since the second I woke up at the very thought of seeing those people again, so obviously excited wasn't the word I'd use. 

"They've been busy. They're all rather wealthy and were going on all sorts of trips." 

"Sorry." I straightened up, looking at her quizzically.

"For what?"

"Not being able to provide that for you." She mumbled, her eyes darting to the floor. I felt so guilty knowing my stupid made-up story had caused her to worry. She always got upset when she seen kids that had more than me, for as long as I could remember. She wanted to give me the world, and she'd likely die trying if it weren't for my constant reminders that I didn't need it. I was happy with what I had. I had a roof over my head, food to eat, and the most understanding mother I could ever ask for. So what if I had to shop at thrift stores and couldn't have friends over? They had better selection and I didn't have friends anyway.

"Don't feel bad, you do everything you can and more for me. I realize that." I said sternly, squaring her shoulders. She sighed, refusing to meet my stare. "I'm serious, Mom, there's no where I really wanted to go anyway."

"That's a damn lie, Tyler. I've seen your 'vision boards' you've got all over your room, you might as well become a nomad with all the places you want to see." I rolled my eyes, knowing she was right. That was for later though, when I could support myself. I stood up, walking across the room slowly. I stopped to turn around in the doorway, smiling back at her.

"I'll see you when you get home tonight, watch out for grease spills at work."

"I can do that, just as long as you promise to watch out for yourself at school."

"Of course I will, don't be silly! I'm an angel child." I beamed, framing my face cheekily with my hands. She rolled her eyes at me, but I didn't wait around to see any further reactions. I wasn't in a rush, but I didn't really have time to spare either. I wanted to be late, but only enough to make an entrance, not enough to actually miss anything important. I snatched my keys off the table, shouting a reminder to her to hurry up before her food got cold. I headed out to my car then, scowling at the dampness in the air.