Chapter Twenty-Three

*Troye's POV*

You know in movies where the characters just snap their eyes open and jump out of bed in the morning, completely ready for the day and happiness radiating off of them? That never happens in real life, ever. I'd like to be able to say there were exceptions to that rule, but there aren't. Even today, when I woke up with a goofy grin on my face and an instant good mood, I did not find myself jumping out of bed and full of energy. I was crazy happy though, grinning up at my roof for no reason for nearly five minutes before realizing what I was doing. I wiped the sleep out of my eyes then, groggily rolling out of the bed and onto my floor. I nearly screamed when I realized I'd fallen on my phone, which must have fallen out of the bed while I slept. I noticed the call with Tyler was still going on, though I was still a little too tired to think coherently enough to end it. Instead I peeled myself off the floor and stumbled into the bathroom, grabbing my toothbrush. 

As I ran it over my teeth I slowly began to wake up, like really wake up. My thoughts slowly began to come back to me, at first simple things like 'I used way too much toothpaste' but eventually evolving to the point I realized how high my phone bill was going to be if I didn't get my ass out there and end the call. I hurriedly spat the toothpaste out, cursing as it dribbled down my chin. I wiped it off carelessly before scrambling back to the bed, reaching down and grabbing it quickly. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Tyler had already ended the call, wordlessly alerting me he'd woke up already. As if I hadn't been excited to get out of the door already I definitely was now, getting dressed as I walked. I was still shoving my shirt on as I started down the stairs, pausing halfway to keep from falling down them. Just as I poked my head through the neck hole someone brushed past me. I knew it was Steele without looking, knowing he was the only one who wouldn't bother to strike up a conversation. I bounded down the steps after him, grabbing my bag off the couch and heading straight past the kitchen he'd went into, instead making a beeline straight for the front door. I wasn't necessarily surprised when I heard my name called in an angry voice a moment later, a familiar pattern we'd worked out every time I tried to sneak off without breakfast. 

"Fine." I grumbled quietly, slumping back into the kitchen and falling into my usual seat at the table. Our table was huge, obviously considering the family it had to accommodate, so naturally my seat was the furthest from everyone else I could manage. A plate was placed in front of me promptly, though the usual 'good morning' or 'try to catch the bus today' didn't follow, alerting me something had changed in our never ending pattern. I cautiously looked over my shoulder, taking in my mother's emotionless expression.

"Mom? Something wrong?" She just narrowed her eyes at me, letting out a loud huff of air.

"You kept me up until 4am, Troye Sivan, something is definitely wrong." My eyes went wide with realization, remembering that I hadn't exactly been quiet while on the phone with Tyler. It wasn't my fault he was so funny, how was I supposed to hold back laughter? That, and it was the early hours of the morning, I didn't exactly have the coherent thought to stay quiet. I could only guess how much my face had paled, guilt washing over me.

"I am so sorry, Mom, it won't happen again." I promised, my voice coming out in a rush. In truth, the idea of putting an end to Tyler and I's late night conversations was enough to make my joyful mood die in the blink of an eye.

"It's fine, Troye, do you know how many sleepovers I've had to put up with for your other siblings? One late night phone call isn't going to kill me, but just try to keep it quieter next time." I nodded, grimacing when she annoyingly messed up my hair before sauntering off. I decided I could worry about that in the car though, stuffing the first bite of hash-browns into my mouth. I was chewing loudly when my eyes fell on Sage and Tyde across the table, leaned in and whispering to each other, both obviously stifling back giggles. My eyes drifted to Dad and Steele to see if they were in on it, but they were once again caught up in a sports conversation. I then looked back to Sage and Tyde, raising my eyebrows in question. They both burst out laughing then, gripping the table for support. I immediately regretted wondering when their laughter faded and they both looked at me with matching devious smirks.