Chapter Seven

*Tyler's POV*

Somehow I ended up where I always did, the bleachers by the football field. Normally, this was a pretty relaxing place. The only people that ever really came here when there wasn't a game on were couples to make-out, but thankfully none seemed to have planned a rendezvous today. It was just me, sitting on the slightly damp outdoor seats with my lips set in a tight line. The rain had stopped, but there was still a mist clinging to the air. It wasn't enough to actually soak you, just enough to make you feel refreshed. I had my eyes closed and my hands intertwined, cracking my fingers loudly. This was exactly what I'd needed, just a moment away from everything to clear my head. I mean, I still hadn't had any bright ideas, but at least now I wasn't overwhelmed with stress over the situation. 

I jumped, a loud bell sounding across the grounds. Break. I knew it was only a matter of time before the boys starting bombarding my phone asking where I was and I really was starting to get hungry, so I decided I'd better head inside. I hopped up, jogging toward the main building with a renewed vigor. I felt so much better now! 

The rest of my classes I actually did attend, though they flew by so fast I had to wonder. We did a bit of review work, but really it was just a lot of introductions and reunions for students. I didn't mind it at first, before I realized just how alone I was compared to my classmates. None of my friends were in my classes so I didn't have them to turn to and, though the rest of the student body knew my name by heart, none ever really talked to me. So while they were all talking and yakking about their summers, I was the one kid who stayed seated at his desk doing review work. I was surrounded by people, but completely and utterly alone. 

I held on to my good mood though, eagerly packing my things up when that time of day rolled around. I had to work after school and honestly I couldn't wait. It was probably weird to love your job this much, but I definitely did. I slung my bag over my shoulder, bounding down the hallways happily. I was utterly certain there was nothing that could dampen my mood, until I seen a familiar boy with someone pinned against the lockers. How could he even get into this many scuffs on his first day back? I didn't recognize the person he had pinned, though that didn't really lessen the guilty feeling in the pit of my stomach. Nobody deserved that. Caspar turned suddenly, his features lighting up when he saw me standing there.

"Hey, Ty! Come help me show this punk a lesson." I inhaled sharply, tentatively approaching. I hated how it was just implied I would help him hurt this random kid. I didn't even know why he was pinned up like this, but apparently that wasn't important. 

"Fight! Fight! Fight!" I cringed at the chanting around us, my stomach tightening as my lunch threatened to spill. I wondered how nobody realized how I was really feeling when things like this happened. Surely I wore it clear on my face. I sighed quietly, stepping up beside Caspar.

"Punch him, Tyler. He called your mother trailer trash." My eyes narrowed, locking with the stranger's as I took another step towards him. He was big for his age, his hair hanging long and curly in his face. 

"Is that true?"

"Well, you guys used to live in a trailer so it's sort of true, but there's-" I was done with his explanation. I pushed Caspar away, claiming this one as mine. I punched the kid in the jaw, relishing in the gasp the crowd gave in unison. Eventually Caspar placed a hand on my shoulder, alerting me to back off. I did, though it took a lot. I stood a couple steps away, watching as he slunk off toward the washroom. Caspar started hooting and hollering then, pumping his fists triumphantly like it was some sort of gladiator battle. I ignored this though, pushing through the crowd and heading straight for my locker. Maybe if I was fast enough I could get out of here before anyone questioned where I was going.