Chapter Sixty-Three

*Tyler's POV*

The days that followed the dance were enough to make me completely and totally regret everything we did that night. Sure, it was amazing, but it wasn't worth this outcome at all. We hadn't spoken for two days now, not even through text. At least the first three days we texted, even if he refused any suggestions of a phone call or actually hanging out, but now there was absolutely no contact. Well, not on his side anyway. I sent the messages, I just never got any replies. I know he said we were okay, but it certainly doesn't seem like it.

Then again, it's not like I really believed him even when he said it. He was acting weird, and as much as I wanted to blame it on his hangover at the time, I knew even then how stupid I'd be to believe that. He had to be upset about me letting him get drunk, it was the only thing that made sense if he didn't remember what happened. 

I couldn't decide if I was disappointed or relieved he didn't remember. It kept us from suffering through the awkward talk we'd have to have about it, but it also made it feel almost pointless. Sure, I got off, but it was like we'd finally made serious progress only to have it swept out from underneath us.

I'd actually debated cancelling today, considering he hadn't answered a single one of my texts about me coming over. He told me a few days to be there for noon, but when I'd tried to check back in and make sure no plans had changed, the messages went unanswered. However, my mother insisted Laurelle said we were still supposed to come over, so I was taking her word for it.

"Tyler, are you awake?" I simply groaned loudly in response, not really ready to use my voice just yet. I'd only been conscious for a few minutes and I'd spent every second of it worrying about Troye, today was shaping up to be wonderful, exactly like the last few. "You said you wanted me to wake you a bit before we left so I was just making sure."

"Yeah, I'm up." I announced, voice coming out uncomfortable raspy after just waking up. I listened to her retreating footsteps and sighed softly, still not very happy about being up. It wasn't actually early, only 10am according to my alarm clock when I lifted my head, but it felt way earlier. 

I hadn't been sleeping so well these last couple of nights, meaning it felt like the ass crack of dawn compared to the times I'd been waking up since break started. I had Troye to blame for that too, my thoughts a complete mess when I was trying to fall asleep. That was usually when I ended up texting him too, not really thinking about how pathetic the string of unanswered messages was at that hour. Sadly, I wasn't as pleasantly oblivious the next morning. I was  annoyed with him for being so cruel, but I was even more annoyed with myself for caring as much as I did. What was I going to do if things didn't work out between us?

I was stirred from my thoughts by a knock on my door, forcing myself up into a sitting position before telling her she could open it. She did immediately, surprising me when I found her in an apron with her hair up.

"Do you think I should bake something to take with us? Like a pie or something?" She asked, making me roll my eyes at her nervous tone. While Troye had  been blatantly ignoring me, Laurelle had been doing nothing but talking to my mother. They were on the phone practically every second when she wasn't at work, the sound of my mother laughing obnoxiously at her jokes becoming the only sound heard throughout our house most nights. However, despite their fast friendship, Mom was still incredibly nervous to meet her. Something about being intimidated by how much money they had compared to us and worrying she would be stuck-up in person.

I tried to convince her otherwise, but when she repeatedly refused to hear it I just gave up. I had enough stuff to stress about on my own, she could sort hers out by herself.

"Why don't you ask Laurelle?" I asked, my tone going unintentionally sour. I couldn't help it, my annoyance and anger seemed to seep into everything I did lately.