Chapter Eleven

*Troye's POV*

I found myself running late yet again today, eagerly stuffing a muffin into my face on my way into the school. I'd planned on skipping breakfast but halfway out the door my mother had flew into me with a speech about nutrition and healthy choices. So, of course I ended up taking her stupid muffin. I hadn't planned on eating it, but now that I was here my stomach actually was beginning to rumble, so I decided to chow down quickly on my way to first class. 

I think part of why I took it was because I still felt guilty about last night. As expected, her and Dad had bombarded me with questions about my day the second I walked through the door, but I had no tolerance for humans left at that point. At first I thought if I just said that nothing happened it'd work out fine, but apparently that wasn't going to work this year considering I was so late getting home. They just kept throwing questions at me and wouldn't let me speak for myself, so of course I ended up blowing up at them. I screamed at them to leave me alone and stomped off to my room. The muffin incident was the first time I'd spoken to her since, so of course there was no way I could say no to her about that. 

I reached the doors relatively unscathed, though I did have one awkward confrontation where someone made eye contact with me while eating a muffin whole. Needless to say, they gave me a pretty judgmental glare. I shied away from them, hurrying up my steps until I got to the school. I walked inside with my head held low, not wanting to attract attention. I did not want social interaction today. I just wanted it to be like last year, when I had about three conversations with students the entire year. I liked that much better than the dramatic events of yesterday. It was boring, but it was safe. 

I continued walking through the crowded halls and trying to be as close to invisible as I could. I was doing a pretty good job of it too, until I turned the corner and collided with someone. I guess I should have seen that coming when I was staring at the floor. I stumbled backward a bit, reluctantly looking up to see who I'd just violated. My heart stopped when I seen the furious Caspar flipping the hair out of his eyes, his hands balled into fists at his sides. I felt the sudden urge to run for dear life, but my legs just wouldn't cooperate. So instead I stayed glued to the spot, watching as he straightened back up and blinked a couple times, obviously a bit disoriented. As his eyes came into focus on my face I watched his emotions flicker across his features. At first there was slight confusion, but then there was anger that quickly grew to rage. I was breathing heavily, my eyes wide like a deer in headlights. He started to raise his fist, before his brow suddenly furrowed and he dropped it back to his side. I stared at him in disbelief for a moment, before realizing my jaw had dropped and I promptly snapped it back shut. 

"Ugh, if it wasn't for Tyler you would be so dead right now." He growled, narrowing his eyes at me accusingly. Now it was my turn to furrow my brow, my mind suddenly a puddle of mixed emotions. What did he mean if it wasn't for Tyler? Did Tyler make him promise not to hurt me or something? That was sweet, but at the same time I could handle my damn self. I couldn't decide if I was thankful or spiteful, but when a familiar face walked around the corner I knew I'd better decide fast.

"What about me, Cas?" Tyler asked, his eyes fixed on the phone in his hands. Oh yeah, he could walk around and not watch where he was going just fine. Perks of being the popular kid, I suppose. He looked up abruptly, his eyes going wide when he seen me. He looked good today, not that he didn't always, it was sort of a mandatory rule of a popular kid. But today it looked like he'd spent extra time on his appearance, his hair styled flawlessly and his outfit perfectly chosen right down to the accessories. I mentally slapped myself, realizing it probably looked like I was checking him out. I hardened my expression, meeting his eyes again. 

"Your friend here just ran into my in the hallway, do you want to take care of that?" Caspar asked, raising his eyebrows suggestively at the end of the sentence. I was even more confused now, looking back to Tyler while biting my lip. He looked guilty, his eyes refusing to meet mine.