Chapter Ten

*Tyler's POV*

I'd like to be able to say I eventually managed to push the thoughts of him out of my mind and go back to focusing on my job, but that'd be a lie. I spent the remainder of the day tripping over my own feet and stumbling over my words whenever a customer tried to talk to me, because my mind was in a completely different place. Needless to say, I let out a breathy sigh of relief when the clock finally rolled around to closing time. I scrambled out of my apron, running to turn off the dingy neon 'open' sign and lock the doors. And then, I was left with the boring job of some minimal clean-up and counting the money in the till. 

I can't even tell you how many times I had to start over while counting the money. I'd be right in the midst of it when another thought or image of Troye would plague my mind. Then I'd lose count of the money, obviously. I was getting more than frustrated at this point, constantly cursing out loud and slamming the bills down onto the counter. This was pathetic. It was one thing to find a guy insanely cute and want to get to know him, it was a totally different level when it was all you could do to think about anything other than the guy. I took a deep breath, trying to level myself as I reached for the money yet again. This time was actually going pretty well, I was about three quarters of the way finished when a loud song rang out, successfully deteriorating my thought-process. I groaned aloud, setting the bills back down before snatching the phone out of my back pocket.

"What?" I hissed harshly, automatically assuming it was one of my stupid friends calling. 

"Ty? Is everything alright?" I was overwhelmed with guilt when I heard the familiar female voice reply. That was definitely not Marcus. The last thing my mother needed right now was more stress from worrying about me. 

"Yeah, sorry. Just a long day." I mumbled awkwardly, stumbling back onto the chair. She was silent for a moment, likely pawning over my response and deciding whether she believed it or not. I already knew she was going to ask me to elaborate the second I got home and tell her everything about my day. But, I was kind of looking forward to that. There was no one I could be one-hundred percent honest with but my mother, as sad as that sounded. She was my shoulder to cry on and my friend to turn to for advice. I'm not sure which I'll need tonight at this rate, but I'm sure she could help me either way.

"I can definitely relate. Barney called in sick last minute and now I'm stuck working a double shift." I frowned, sighing into the phone angrily. She was always the one they stuck with extra hours. I had a suspicion it was because she asked for them, but she had to realize that she was working herself too hard sooner or later. I was hoping for sooner, before she really strained herself. 

"Are you serious? They can't force you to stay, you know. You're their best worker there's no way they'd fire you for taking it off if you need to-"

"No, Ty, we need the money. It's fine, I promise. But, anyway, I was calling to ask if you could drop my off something to eat. I forgot my purse at home and don't have any money on me to buy something from the restaurant. I wouldn't ask, but I'm starving and-" I decided to cut her off this time. I couldn't believe she was trying to explain herself over this. After all, she was only doing all of this to raise money to feed me. 

"Mom, it's no big deal. Of course I will! When's your break?" I asked, getting back to my feet. I was pretty much done here, all I had to do was finish with the money. I wasn't sure what I'd make her yet, but I wanted to make sure I had enough time to get it done. 

"At 8, so in an hour and a half." 

"Okay, I'll see you then. Love you." I said, picking up the money I'd abandoned earlier.

"What would I do without you? I love you too." 

"You're so sappy, goodbye, Mom." I was certain anyone could tell I wasn't actually annoyed in the slightest by how 'sappy' she was, but I said it anyway. It was a teenager thing, I guess.