Chapter Thirty-Eight

*Tyler's POV*

Come to think of it, it was probably pretty weird to purposely seek out your mother when you were skipping school. It had been a kind of spur-of-the-moment decision, but I didn't regret it. I was in an amazing mood, I'd just found out amazing information, and I was with the most amazing guy out there, excuse me for wanting to share it with her. I couldn't exactly let her in on the entire situation, it'd be too obvious if I brought up Troye coming out at the dinner table. But I'd tell her later and we could celebrate, likely with a lot of ice cream and stupid brainwashing television shows. 

Right now, I just planned on enjoying their company. It was going well so far, aside from my mother's initial crankiness at seeing me skip school and my accidental slip of gay slang, but hey, nothing can be perfect. I was actually surprised with how easily Troye let that go, because he had every reason to be curious. I wasn't sure what I would have said had he pushed an answer out of me, but the fact was he hadn't. He just went with it, for my sake. When I eventually come out, I'm going to make sure he realizes how much I appreciated him being so patient with me. Surely he suspects it. I mean, I'm not sure, but I'm still telling myself he'd been trying to initiate a kiss last night.

"Here you go." I looked up, grinning as I watched my mother slide two plates across the table. Troye lurched forward to catch his, while I stayed leaned back, knowing it would land exactly where it should anyway. She hadn't spent ten years waiting tables and got nothing out of it. She gave us both a quick smile before turning to leave, shouting her next words over her shoulder. "I'll be back in a minute! Gonna change out of my uniform and go get my meal." 

"Alright!" I beamed after her, watching as she walked off back toward the kitchens. Once she was out of sight I turned to face Troye, grinning like an idiot as I watched him pick at his food with his fork.

"Eat it, it's good." I demanded, actually a bit insulted by the way he was turning his nose up at my favorite dish. He crossed his arms over his chest, pouting his bottom lip out even further as he looked over at me skeptically.

"There is way too much gravy on this, it's gonna be soggy and gross." He whined, making my arm I'd had strewn behind him wrap around his shoulders, squeezing him in my annoyance.

"You're soggy and gross. It's delicious, try it." I snapped, only sounding slightly offended over the stupid food. What can I say, I'm passionate about food. With my arm that isn't wrapped around his shoulders, I reach forward and pick up his fork. It doesn't really click what I'm doing until I've already gotten the bite of food halfway through the air, but at that point it's too late to back out anyway. So instead I hope for the best and bring the bite to his lips, watching his quick eyeroll before he opened his mouth and let me feed him. I didn't even think to look away as he chewed, blushing when his eyes met with mine and obviously caught me staring. I didn't look away though, and he didn't either, continuously widening our eyes until we were both staring at each other looking like a pair of lemurs or something. "Am I right or am I right?"

He exhaled loudly through his nose in response, his annoyance seeping into the simple gesture. I waited patiently though, knowing if I didn't say anything else he'd actually answer my question once he finished chewing. He swallowed a moment later and I couldn't help but let my eyes wander to his Adam's apple as he did so. They flickered back up to his lips then, smirking at the stray trail of gravy on his chin. Woops, maybe I'm not as good at feeding people as I thought.

"You're right." He sighed out finally, making me clap my hands together in success. 

"I know I am." I beamed back, giving the cheekiest smile I had. He just rolled his eyes, stretching tall as he started to scan the table.