Chapter Sixty-Five

*Tyler's POV*

"Not yet I don't." I called back, snickering under my breath as I skipped down the stairs, gripping the railing tightly in case my carefree steps resulted in my legs giving out under me. I couldn't help it, I was way too happy to walk at a normal pace right now. I was practically bouncing with excitement, ecstatic even despite the fact I was going to greet two people that had more or less interrupted my heated make-out session. I mean, I called it off, but only because of them.

I slid across the floor in my fluffy socks, grinning as I stumbled over the welcome mat. I opened the door wide without thinking it through, not expecting the confused expressions I got in response. Oh, do they even remember who I am? Did they know I was going to be here? This is awkward. I should really stop smiling... Shit, I can't stop smiling.

"Ty...ler?" Steele seemed unsure of himself, the name coming out as a question as if he was asking for confirmation. I mean, it could have been worse, he could have forgotten who I was completely. That'd be awkward.

"Yep!" I beamed, turning around and walking back into the house further, cursing under my breath at myself. I stopped once I heard them shut the door behind themselves, making it clear they were already in the house. I turned back to them again then, grinning so big it was definitely easy to tell I was trying to make up for the situation. "Just Troye and I are home right now, everyone else will be back soon."

"Okay." Steele answered with a nod, still sounding unsure of the situation. I offered him an apologetic smile, watching the two of them walk into the living room. I noticed the way he kept his arm around her waist tightly, taking note of how cute they were together. However, I knew better to just stand there and stare, which would definitely make them label me as creepy. Instead I waited until they both sat on the couch and looked back to me to gesture toward the kitchen.

"I should go check on the turkey." I explained, partly just trying to give them space and get myself out of the tense situation. He nodded again, his features still bent up in slight confusion.

"Okay." I nodded back and we ended up in what was almost a nodding competition, only for me to turn around when Troye's steps on the stairs finally started. What took him so long? Trying to compose himself after our make-out or something? Whatever, he can play host now.

I wandered into the kitchen intending to just loot his fridge, pausing in the middle of the room when I noticed the grey swirls of smoke pouring out of the stove. My eyes went huge, jaw dropping before I got a grip on myself and flew into action.

"Troye, the turkey's smoking!" I hollered, only noticing when it stopped that he'd been talking in the other room. The silence only lasted a split second though before his footsteps followed, rushing into the kitchen with a panicked expression. His eyes fell on the smoking appliance and he exchanged one last worried glance with me before continuing over to it. I bit my lip, fighting the urge to plea with him to be careful, knowing that was probably borderline too concerned. I couldn't help it, I didn't want him to hurt himself.

As he opened the door and a cloud of smoke rolled out, I couldn't hold back my worries anymore. I bounced over to his side and hurriedly grabbing the oven mitts off the counter, shoving one pair at him as I slipped the other on. He raised a single eyebrow at me but I just shook my head, gesturing to how big the roasting tin was. There was no way he'd be able to get something that hot and that big out on his own, especially taking into account the extra weight of the turkey. There were handles on both sides. I'd just help him.

He nodded in understanding, both of us going to grab either handle at the same time. We managed to get it half out when my grip loosened just enough for my hand to slip down, the base of my thumb rubbing up against the scorching metal.