Chapter Fourty

*Troye's POV*

To say that my mind was in another place during would be a complete understatement. Honestly, I couldn't even tell you what class I was in right now. It fascinated me what a horrible student I was becoming since getting close to Tyler. Then again, I was doing excellent in math all thanks to him so it kind of evened out in the end. Not really, but I was going to continue telling myself it anyway to make me feel better about my dropping grades in the other classes. 

Between staring at the clock counting down the minutes until I got to see him again and trying to decide what the hell to do when I did see him again, there were a lot of things more important than whatever that was jumbled all over the whiteboard. Part of me was thrilled with seeing him so flustered and blushy earlier, knowing damn well people don't get like that over platonic hugs and that it meant we were making progress of some sort. But I also couldn't help but worry things might have changed so much it'd be overly awkward between us at the sleepover or something. Of course I wanted him to like me, I just didn't want to go through that awkward blushy stage where we could barely talk to each other. I wanted to skip straight over to flirting and kissing- Fuck, now I'm going to be stuck dwelling over the thought of kissing him all over again, like I hadn't spent a good half of my conscious time today doing that already.

"Alright, class, that's it for today. You can all either finish it up now or start cleaning up and do it for homework." I let out a breathy sigh of relief upon hearing the teacher's orders, immediately slamming my textbook shut and leaning back in my seat. My first move was to grab my phone to text Tyler, before remembering our exchange earlier and wondering if that was the best move after all. What if he was expecting some huge reaction and would be disappointed with a simple 'I'm bored in class' text? Or what if- Shit, I'm doing it already, I'm initiating that awkward stage without even realizing it. I forced my fingers to fly across the keyboard before I could overthink it again.

"Hey, what are you doing?" His reply was almost instantaneous. 

"Definitely not school, it's not like I'm in class or anything. What are you doing?" I rolled my eyes at the obvious sarcasm seeping through the typed-out words, though there was no hiding my stupid smile as I tried to come up with the least-lame thing I could say about my current activities. 'Oh, nothing, I'm just wasting time texting this really cute boy when I should be paying attention in class' may have been the truth, but it definitely wasn't my best option.

"Counting down the seconds until I get to see you again, obviously." I bit my lip as I hovered my finger over the send button, wondering if this could be considered too flirty, and also wondering if it'd be such a bad thing if it was. As much as I was glad we were making progress, I was a complete, well, virgin, when it came to these sort of interactions. I just didn't want to come on too strong and scare him off or say something really stupid and make it clear how oblivious I really was. 

Ultimately I ended up sending it, deciding it was one way to test the boundaries. If he replied and seemed weirded out, at least I'd know not to say anything of the sort again. The seconds waiting for his reply actually felt like days, and I suddenly understood all those whiny scenes in romantic comedies where the girl is sitting around waiting for his call back on a spiritual level. And when I felt my phone go off in my hand, I understood that stupid lovesick grin they all wore to a T.

"There's roughly four-hundred and eighty. Until the bell rings anyway." I silently scoffed at his know-it-all reply, surprised I hadn't suspected something like that from the get-go. I wasn't sure if I was relieved or disappointed he hadn't replied to me with something equally as flirty. Maybe it was his nice way of backing away from that sort of thing? Just to be safe, I decided to at least keep my next reply pretty bland. God, I really was overthinking all of this.