Chapter Thirty-Six

*Tyler's POV* 

I still hadn't entirely gotten over what had just happened, despite it being about twenty minutes since the incident took place. Could I even really call it an incident? That seemed like too small of a word to capture what I'd just done. Sure, it might not sound like much. I'd stood up for my friend when he was getting bullied, you'd have to be an idiot not to do that. But that's just the thing, I am an idiot. I've spent half of my life with these people, listening to them make homophobic slurs and acting like I could care less. It's only when you realize I didn't even have the guts to stand up for myself, that you understand what a big deal this was.

Even now, knowing very well what kind of shit I was going to have to put up with the rest of the school year, I couldn't bring myself to regret it. I guess that might have had something to do with how Troye was cuddled up against me, animatedly chatting with Shane and Marcus like we'd all been friends forever. Nobody mentioned how close Troye and I suddenly were, leading me to believe Marcus may have had his suspicions all along. I was thankful for it though, the last thing I wanted was someone to question it and for Troye to back off. I was still sitting with my legs on either side of the bench, but he'd taken advantage of the position and was now leaning back against my chest, the top of his head tucked right under my chin. He was leaning most of his weight on one of my legs, meaning it had fallen asleep, and occasionally his hair would tickle my neck and I'd have to resist the urge to laugh, but it was definitely worth it to have him this close.

The closest he'd came to moving was when he jolted upward suddenly, panicking slightly as he started feeling around his pockets for his phone. We were all rather confused until Shane let out a knowing sigh, saying one word that had everything making sense for us; Sage. 

"Troye." I said levelly, reaching around him in an attempt to snatch his phone. He just slapped my hand away though, going write back to dialing some number into the screen like he had been earlier. "Troye, Sage is fine. That was Caspar earlier."

"W-What?" He asked, freezing in his tracks. I was thankful for Marcus once again as he took the job of explaining the entire situation to Troye. Caspar had gone to the person he knew best that might have Troye's number, which was Alfie, seeing as he had no idea Troye and I interacted like we did. Alfie had been doubtful at first, but had given in when Caspar bribed him by saying he could be invited to his 'popular kids only Halloween party'. I'd yet to break the news to him that I wouldn't be attending, but I was hoping it was just implied now that I'd chosen Troye over him once. I mean, given the choice between having to grind on drunk girls all night to appear straight or being cuddled up with Troye and free to act as gay as one pleases, it was a pretty easy decision. Actually, there was very little that could make me give up time spent with this boy.

So I guess you can understand my loud groan of disapproval when the bell rang. We'd already had our only class together today, and we hadn't even talked throughout it so we'd basically wasted a chance to interact. I didn't make a move to get up as the seconds ticked by, watching as Marcus and Shane got to their feet and looked at the two of us questioningly.

"Are you two skipping class together?" Shane asked, his tone innocent like he didn't want to imply anything. I got the feeling he was still a little bit intimidated by me, but I couldn't really blame him. I mean, I had beat his face in not even a month before now. I'd never apologized either, despite knowing Caspar had probably made up whatever it was he said about my mother. 

"I, uh, not sure. Just go ahead without us, I'll text you or something." I stared down at the top of Troye's head curiously, eager to hear him elaborate on what he'd said. I looked back to the others just in time to watch as the two of them turned around, continuing their earlier conversation as they started toward the side doors of the school. It wasn't until the two metal doors had swung shut behind them, that I started to shift under Troye. He took the hint, awkwardly ambling away from me, only to turn around and face me, mirroring my position. I winced, stretching out the leg he'd been leaning on and trying to ward off the pins and needles.