Chapter Seventy-Seven

*Troye's POV*

*Timeskip to April*

"Why did you have to choose something so active? We could have just gone to dinner or something." I complained, sinking further down in the passengers seat and wondering what possessed me to let him drive today. We'd planned the double date a couple weeks ago and it wasn't until today that I started to have second thoughts about it. Not just the location, but the entire situation. I loved Shane and Marcus, but there was something about being around them as a couple that just made me feel inferior. They just seemed to have it all together. Sure, they've been together longer than we have, but it's different.

"You're just upset because you know you'll suck at it." Tyler beamed back, going right back to singing along to the familiar song playing from the radio. He didn't seem to share my outlook at all. He was a ball of joy, as usual. He seemed thrilled at the idea of going bowling, for whatever reason. I bet he's just excited to show me up at it and make fun of me because he's been before.

"Will not. Once I get the hang of it I will slay you." I replied, deciding to just go along with the lighthearted mood he was setting for us.

"Wanna bet?" He jibed back, my competitive streak causing a confident smirk to find my face. Deep down I knew how stupid I'd be to believe I could beat someone with experience, but I didn't care.

"Winner pays for the other?" I suggested, wiggling my eyebrows at him despite the fact he still had his eyes glued to the road ahead of us. We were less than five minutes away from the bowling alley now, a weird mix of nerves and excitement settling in my stomach.

"Deal." He replied firmly, smiling to himself as he pulled onto the road. I looked out my window at the houses as they passed by, taking extra time to study one of the apartment buildings even after we'd zoomed past. 

I'd been thinking about moving out a lot lately, mostly just because I thought it'd help set the whole 'I'm an adult' thing into my brain. I didn't want to do it alone though, and I had no idea where Tyler stood on it. For all I know he might want to stay living with his mother forever to make sure she's okay. Sure, she has no serious health issues, but he's pretty concerned about her never-ending work schedule.

I snapped out of my thoughts when he sat his hand on my thigh, slowly tracing it higher in a teasing manner. I looked down and narrowed my eyes at the touch, clamping my hand over his and forcing it to stay still. I knew it was just teasing, there was no way we'd get a chance to follow through with anything today.

"Stop it. Are you ready to go inside?" I asked, reaching up to fix a piece of his quiff that had fallen forward. He made a face, scrunching his nose up and shrugging his shoulders.

"I mean, I'd rather you go inside but-"

"That wasn't even a good pun." I sighed out before he'd finished, shaking my head at his desperation to turn everything dirty. He rolled his eyes before sticking his tongue out at me, withdrawing his hand from under mine.

"Yes it was." He defended, crossing his arms over his chest. I shook my head, laughing slightly at the fact he could even think that.

"No it wasn't." I said firmly, watching as he just shook his head in disagreement and slid back over to the driver's seat.

"Whatever, let's go." He mumbled, opening the door and getting out. I followed his lead, jogging around the car afterward. Instead of embracing the awkward atmosphere like him I just threw my arm around his shoulders, forcing him to put up with me as I squeezed him to my side.

We made it halfway across the parking lot before noticing the two people standing waiting by the doors, exchanging a look as we realized we weren't the first ones here. Of course they got here early! Remember? They have their life together. I feel like they're quickly growing into that obnoxiously perfect couple everyone is both envious and annoyed by.