Chapter 15

The nap doesn't last long when Makoto is woken up harshly by Hanji. Makoto groans and rubs her eyes to look up at Hanji. Just when Hanji was about to wake up Petra as well, Makoto lets a growl rise from her throat, catching Hanji by surprise. Sadness flashes in her eyes but she quickly looks away scoffing and walking away. 

Makoto didn't know what got into her to cause her to growl but she brushes it off and rubs her eyes. She looks over at the sleeping Petra and notices how vulnerable and gentle she looks in her sleep.

"Hey get up," Makoto says and gently shakes the girl until she groggily wakes up. She whines and buries her face into Makoto's jacket, "Carry me."

"Are you serious?" Makoto says, raising an eyebrow at the smaller girl and hoping that she was just joking. But Petra doesn't move and wraps her arms around her neck. Makoto rolls her eyes and stands up, helping Petra up as well.

"Wake up. You're supposed to be more professional." Makoto says as she grabs Petra's arms and pulls them off of her. Petra sighs and rubs her eyes to fully wake up. 

"Thanks for letting me lean against you." Petra says with a small smile which Makoto returns with a short nod. The two went their own separate ways with Petra following Hanji and the other generals while Makoto walks over to where Eren is.

He was talking with Mikasa, Armin, and a couple of other people. Mikasa's calm demeanor quickly evaporates when she sees Eren's bumps and bruises. She stops Eren from talking and begins to bombard him with questions. "Eren, are you okay? What happened to you?" She asks worriedly. 

"Mikasa, I'm fine," Eren responds. 

"They didn't do anything to you, did they? Especially this one." She asks while glaring at Makoto who raises her eyebrow while her ears flick irritated.

"Excuse me?" Makoto asks, looking down at her while crossing her arms. "Do you have a problem with me or something?"

Mikasa keeps her blank stare as she stares into the taller girl's eyes. "Maybe I do," She says, crossing her arms as well.

The others around them begin to panic and backing away, afraid of what is going to happen between the two. 

"Mikasa, stop it." Eren hisses at her as he tries to pull her away but Mikasa doesn't budge.

"If you ever try to hurt Eren, I'll come after you and kill you myself." She says coldly. 

"I like to see you try," Makoto says, her lips forming a small cocky smirk.  

Eren and Jean pulls Mikasa away, trying to calm her down. The eye contact between Mikasa and Makoto never broke. Makoto, however, is still fuelled by Mikasa's threat and takes a step closer to her but Ymir, Christa, and Sasha quickly gets in front of her. 

"Makoto please calm down," Christa whispers which was ignored by Makoto who continues to glare at Mikasa. 

"Makoto, come on. Your eyes are flickering green." Ymir hisses. Makoto glares at Mikasa for a few more seconds before breaking eye contact and allowing her eyes to go back to normal. 

"You must be hungry and tired from today! Let's go get you something to eat." Sasha says, trying to brighten up the mood. 

Just when Makoto was about to protest, her stomach rumbles loudly causing Makoto to look away embarrassed. "Fine," Makoto grumbles under her breath. Sasha gives her a bright grin and cheers while Christa smiles and Ymir gives a small nod.

Once things have calmed down, everyone decides to go to town for food. Makoto slows down so she could walk behind everyone else and be alone.

Out of nowhere, Makoto feels someone grab her arm, making her turn around and was ready to swing. 

"Wait!" The person shouts and putting their hands in defense.

Makoto takes a good look at the person to realise that it was Kyouko. She looks at Makoto with a small nervous smile, making Makoto glare at her and turn around to walk away.

"Wait," Kyouko says and grabs her hand, "Please Makoto... I just want to talk to you." Kyouko's voice sounds broken while her tail droops sadly with her wolf ears flatten against her head.

"Five minutes," Makoto says and turns to face her. 

Kyouko takes a deep breath and looks up at her sister, "I'm so sorry for what happened. I would never want anything to happen to you. You're my sister and best friend. I regret never looking for you. I hate watching you in pain and all I can do is watch because I'm scared. I'm scared that I'll lose you forever. I know I can't change what happened in the past but please give me another chance."

Makoto sighs and looks down at her shoes. "Why did you never try to find me? Did you just believe them?" She asks.

Kyouko looks down as well and her voice is laced in guilt, "I did... I really thought you were just doing the normal punishments like excessive cleaning. I didn't know they would do those things to you."

"Look Kyouko, I can't just forgive you. I know you didn't know better but it still hurts. After everything that happened to me, I thought you would have at least got suspicious." Makoto says, "I can't fully forgive you right now... But I want to give you another chance to at least fix what we have."

Kyouko hugs her tightly, buring her face in her shirt. "I'll do whatever it takes to prove it to you. I promise I'll rebuild what we had. Thank you. Thank you." She says and hugs Makoto tighter.

"Okay okay. Let me go before I suffocate from lack of air." Makoto grumbles but makes no attempt to push her off.

Kyouko sniffles and smiles brightly, letting her go, "You're coming to dinner with us right?"

Makoto nods, making Kyouko's tail wag and her ears perk up. The two catches up with the group with Kyouko following closely beside her.

"So Eren told me you were getting all cuddly with one of the generals." Kyouko teases.

Makoto throws her a glare causing Kyouko to laugh and run away before Makoto could punch her arm.

Shaking her head, Makoto watches as everyone in front of her laugh, talk, and smile. Even Kyouko was talking and laughing with them. 

As much she didn't like people, she'll tolerate them for tonight since she doesn't want to be the one who ruins everyone's night.

Once they arrive at their destination, they all head inside while Makoto slows down and stops to look at the board hanging out side of the restaurant. 

"Makoto, you coming in?" Kyouko asks as she sticks her head out from inside the restaurant. 

Makoto ignores her sister and proceeds to read the sign: "Welcome! All-you-can-eat-and-drink! Alcohol Included!

Oh no.