Chapter 31

Makoto stares into the Female Titan's icy blue eyes and begins to pick up the Female Titan's scent.

"Annie?"

The titan carefully moves her finger away, staring down at the other girl. Not making any sound or other movements.

"Annie, if it's really you, I'm not gonna turn you in." Makoto reassures and takes a step closer. "We can trust each other. I know we left off on the wrong foot last time but this doesn't mean we can't help one another."

Annie slowly moves her hand down, opening up her palm and placing the backside of her hand on the floor. Makoto glances at her hand before taking a cautious step and getting on. Annie raises her hand up, allowing the hybrid girl to be at eye level. 

"Your secret is safe with me Annie, I promise." Makoto says once again, gently placing her hand on the Female Titan's forehead. Makoto can feel the titan's muscles slightly relax as she slightly leans her head against her hand.

Makoto knew that she got a weird vibe from Annie but she never expected her to be a titan shifter like Eren. She just thought that the blonde girl really hated being around other people. 

As Makoto pulls her hand away, she also takes a step back, "I should catch up with the others or they'll actually think I'm dead." The Female Titan gives her a small nod before carefully placing the hybrid girl onto a tree branch. But before Makoto could properly thank Annie, the titan starts sprinting off into the direction Levi's squad went. The girl watches the titan leave and the leaves shake. 

Once everything's still, Makoto sits down and lets out a large sigh. She runs her fingers through her snow white hair and dangles her legs in the air. She still couldn't believe that Levi's squad left her behind like that. She could have died! She grind her teeth at the betrayal and shakes her head. "Whatever, I'm gonna give that half-pint and everyone in that squad a piece of my fucking mind." Makoto growls to herself and gets her ODM gear ready and heads off into the same direction.

-

She didn't know how far behind she was but she has been swinging around from tree to tree for what feels like an hour. She sees something shine against the sunlight that was peeking through the leaves of the trees.

She narrows her eyes to realize it was the reflection of steel wires. A bunch of them. As she grew closer, she picked up a familiar scent. It was Annie's scent along with everyone else's. She reels herself closer and stops at a nearby tree. She takes in the scene in front of her, the Female Titan tied down by steel wires while everyone else was around her. 

"Makoto?!" A male voice shouts in shock. Makoto turns her head and watches as Eren swings onto the same branch as her. "Are you okay?! How did you get away?!" He asks frantically, confused how the girl got away without a scratch.

"You don't have the rights to ask. You and everyone else left me behind." Makoto fumes, "I could have fucking died back there if I wasn't lucky!" Eren's eyes flood with guilt and he looks down.

"I'm sorry, Makoto. Levi said we shouldn't go back for you. We tried but he wouldn't listen."

"So you're gonna listen to everything that gremlin tells you? He's not a god!" Makoto rages and clenches her hands into fists. "You know what, just forget it. I'm alive now and it's no thanks to any of you."

An awkward silence hangs between them, both their gazes moving to the Female Titan to observe her every moves.

Makoto spots Levi talking to the Titan, unable to hear what he was saying. Her wolf ears perk up in attempt to pick up what he's saying but whatever it was, it got cut off. The Female Titan lets out a loud screech, causing Makoto to cover her wolf and human ears. (A/N: Yes she has both bc it feels weird when hybrids only have the animal ears idk)