Seventeen

Sienna rubbed her face in frustration. She looked at the time on her laptop and sighed.

"Three thirty-eight in the fucking morning." Sienna groaned.

She couldn't seem to find the right words for her assignment. She was suffering complete writer's block.

She didn't know what else to do. So, she called her best friend.

She worried he was busy and couldn't answer, but moments later his cheerful face appeared on the screen.

"Hey!" Niall yelled. Sienna was instantly in a much better mood.

"Why are you so happy?" Sienna chuckled.

"Just happy to talk to you, babe." Niall grinned. "What's up? Isn't it late there?"

"Almost four in the morning." Sienna shrugged. "Trying to do schoolwork, but I'm too frustrated with it to make any real progress." She explained. "So, tell me about your day to get my mind off it."

Niall told her every detail he could think of from what he had for breakfast to him struggling to finish a new song he was writing.

"So, how are things with you-know-who?" Niall asked curiously.

"They're okay." Sienna admitted with a sigh.

"But..." Niall could sense there was more to that story than she was letting on.

"But I've just been wondering what it is he thinks we're doing." Sienna said sadly. "Does he think we're dating? Does he want to just fool around without ever defining it?" She wondered. "I don't know how these things work, but I've got a feeling the instant I ask the question everything is going to change."

"That's tough, babe." Niall sighed. "I know you. So, I know you want to define it or stop it entirely because you want something serious." He explained. "Seems to me, it's not a matter of if you should ask, it's when you should." He said confidently. "Because you've already made your mind up about asking him."

She realized he was right.

Sienna had never had a serious boyfriend, but she wanted to. She wanted something special and real.

She didn't want to just fool around. After all, she was a virgin. She knew she'd make a horrible fuck buddy. That wasn't what she wanted.

She wanted unconditional love, and passion, and drama. She wanted excitement and stories to tell when she was older. She wanted to love someone so much it hurt.

Could Calum be that person, Sienna wondered. Her young and wild love like everyone's always talking about? What happens if he is that person, but he doesn't want to be.

"You're right, though." Niall spoke up again, pulling her out of her thoughts. "When you ask, things will be different because defining it makes it real."

~~~~~~

Niall eventually had to go to the studio to work on some songs. Leaving Sienna staring at her laptop trying to sort out her feelings about Calum after coming to new realizations.