Thirty-eight

"So, it's official, huh?"

A grin spread on Sienna's lips. Niall's question brought a playful electric light to her eyes.

"Yeah." She giggled, smiling over at him as they continued their walk around the arena. "It's official."

"Well," Niall released a breath, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "It's about damn time." He let out a chuckle. "Glad to see you two stop playing games with each other and just date already."

Sienna thought for a moment how strange and thrilling it was to finally have the thing she had longed for all those lonely nights.

"I know I should feel guilty," Sienna told him. "but I don't." She admitted with a shrug. "I know Luke will be pissed-"

"Oh, he will be seething." Niall corrected her, laughing at her understatement.

"But we won't keep it from him forever." She explained. "Surely, he'll see we aren't just fucking around."

"You've known each other for two months." Niall said simply. "Of course Luke will think you're just messing around. Only you two really know how it feels." He continued. "I'm a hardcore believer in true love, and love at first sight, and all that mushy stuff. So, if you say it's the real thing, I'll trust your judgment." He said with a chuckle. "You don't have to defend your relationship to me, Enna. I'm your friend. I know what he means to you. I'm happy for you, babe." He gave her a comforting smile.

Sienna took a deep breath and wrapped her arms around her friend. Having someone who didn't make her feel guilty about her feelings for Calum was soothing. 

Niall didn't hesitate to return the embrace. He felt relief that Sienna and Calum had finally come to their senses and worked things out. He'd known they would end up together. The past few weeks he'd just been wondering when they would realize it.

"Thank you."

~~~~~~

"Hood, hands to yourself."

Everyone laughed at Luke's comment as they proceeded to prepare to take the stage. Each of the boys carried out their pre-stage routines, except for Calum.

Calum's arms were tangled around Sienna's waist as she fixed his earplugs for him. He admired her as she double checked the wires, reassuring his earplugs weren't tangled or messed up in any way. He smiled sweetly as he watched her.

"Hey, lover boy." Michael laughed, snapping a photo of Sienna and Calum before Calum diverted his attention. "You know in order to play the bass, you have to actually let go of Sienna, right?"

Niall chuckled from where he stood peaking out at the crowd from behind some equipment.

"Well I can still hold onto her until it's time to play." Calum retorted with a smirk.

"No, you can't." Luke chimed in quickly. "Hands off." He waved his hands in the direction of Calum and Sienna, an attempted gesture instructing them to separate. An uncomfortable expression shown plainly on his features although it held hints of amusement.

Calum removed his arms from around Sienna, holding his hands up in surrender to Luke, but the smirk didn't leave his lips.

When he saw that Luke was satisfied, he turned his attention back to his girlfriend.

"Wish me luck." He said, his voice bubbly with excitement.

"Good luck." Sienna returned his smile. She studied his eyes. She could see the stage adrenaline starting to shine through them. She wanted to kiss him, but being here with him, knowing everything between them was okay–that it would stay that way–was enough. "You're gonna' be great."

"I'll see you out there." Calum gave her a smirk and a wink before turning to join the boys.

Niall made his way to stand beside Sienna as she watched Calum walk away.

"Ready to watch the show?"

~~~~~~

"Our next song is a cover."

It was the middle of the boys' show. They had played a fantastic set, like always, so far. Sienna wondered what cover the boys had decided on. They'd been brainstorming ideas all day.

"This one was Calum's idea." Michael said. "If it sucks, blame him."

"Actually," Calum spoke up, amusement clear in his voice. "This is one of Enna's favorites. So, if it sucks, blame her."

Sienna laughed and threw her hands up. If Calum could've heard her, she would've told him "thanks for throwing me under the bus."

Calum saw her expression and chuckled into his mic. The happy sound echoed through the arena.

Sienna loved that sound. It always gave her a warm, soothing feeling.

"Sorry, babe." Calum laughed into his mic, positioning his fingers on his bass, readying himself to play. "This one's for you."

The other boys quickly readied themselves and began the cover. Sienna quickly recognized it and couldn't keep the laughter from rushing out.

They're playing Dirty Little Secret, Sienna realized.

Calum had said their relationship was their dirty little secret; for the time being, at least. Sienna hadn't realized the start of their official relationship had caused musical inspiration to strike as well.

I'm in love with a dork, Sienna thought as she continued to laugh at Calum's song choice.

Every time Calum snuck a glance, or sent a wink, or gave a smile toward Sienna, her heart leapt into her throat.

Sienna watched Calum with a new sense of pride. She had the privilege of watching the guy she loves do what he loves. Even if no one else knew about them, even if she couldn't voice or show her affection for him, it didn't matter. She got to be with him, she got to watch him do what he was meant to do, and she got to experience love for the first time.

She didn't need their relationship to be loud or flamboyant. She just wanted him to be happy, and she wanted to be happy with him.

After spending so long battling her mental health and loneliness, Sienna did not take her happiness for granted.

She closed her eyes for a moment, leaning her head over on Niall's shoulder as he let out a cheer for his friends on stage. She took a deep breath and thanked the universe for the progress she'd made and the blessings that filled her life.