Twenty-one

Niall had been working on the harmony of a new song when the phone rang.

"Hey, babe." He said casually, scribbling down his last idea for the song he was working on. He waited to hear his best friend's cheerful voice. Instead, he heard soft shaky breaths and sniffles. "Sienna?"

His heart began to race.

"I'm not okay." The words were choked out in a cry that gutted him.

Call me if that changes, he had told her. He knew what her words meant. Things had changed. She needed him.

He dropped his pen, sat his guitar down, and sat up in his seat.

"What happened, babe?" He asked her softly.

"I'm so tired of it." Sienna cried into the phone.

"Tired of what, Enna?" Niall worried. "Talk to me."

"I'm tired of feeling like this." She explained. "I'm tired of this ache in my chest."

"Enna, where are you? Where's Luke?" Niall asked calmly, trying to mask his fear.

"Luke's on stage." Sienna told him.

"Is there anyone there with you?" He asked.

"Ashton was outside the door a minute ago." She admitted. "I can't tell him." She shook her head, wiping away tears with one hand. "I can't put that burden on him."

What burden, Ashton wondered as he listened through the door.

"Enna, he wants to help." Niall assured her. "He's been through this."

"He's been in love with Calum?" Sienna retorted.

Niall's mouth fell agape, as did Ashton's who was still standing outside the bathroom door.

Holy shit, Ashton thought.

So that's what this is about, Niall realized. She misses Calum. She's not trying to hurt herself.

"Well, no." Niall finally said.

"Every time I look at him, I can't help but feel awful. This weight on my chest...I'm tired of it." She cried. "I'm miserable and he's fine." More cries came with the words. "How is he okay?"

"Enna-"

"I meant nothing to him," She cried. "And that hurts." She paused to catch her breath. "And I miss you...and I don't know what to do."

Niall knew she needed him. He knew what he needed to do.

"Babe," Niall said sweetly. "If that's true, that he meant more to you than you meant to him, then he's a damn fool and you're better off without him." He promised her. "You are Sienna Hemmings. You're amazing." He reminded her. "I know it hurts now, but give it some time."

She knew he was right. It would get better with time, but she was tired of her whole body aching every time he walked in the room. She was tired of beating herself up over her feelings for him.

Dirty Little Secret // C.H.On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara