Twenty-eight

Sienna was about to give up.

She'd searched everywhere for Calum. She had worked up the nerve to try to talk to him again, but the longer she searched for him the faster her courage was fading.

When she stopped to give up on her search, she heard soft noises coming from down the hall. She figured it was worth a shot. After all, she'd looked everywhere else.

She headed in the direction of the noises. As she grew closer, the noises grew deeper and more familiar.

She'd know that sound anywhere.

The sound of a bass guitar.

When she came to stand in the doorway of the room, she smiled as she realized she had been right.

Calum sat on the sofa in the room, feet propped up on the coffee table in front of him and his bass across his lap.

He strummed the chords with ease and with no apparent pattern. Although, he didn't have to play a song to make the sounds beautiful.

Sienna's smile grew as she watched him.

"Whatcha' working on?"

Calum's head snapped up in her direction immediately once she spoke up.

"Nothing." Calum shrugged, moving one of his hands away from his bass to scratch the back of his neck nervously. "Just playing. Trying to clear my head."

Sienna nodded at his words and stepped further into the room.

She wondered what was on his mind. More specifically, she wondered if it was her.

"Can we talk?" She asked softly, wrapping her arms around herself in attempt to hide her trembling hands.

Her words lit a fire inside of Calum that he couldn't stop.

"Why?" He spat. His words hit Sienna like a slap to the face. He could see her face fall as she stared into his eyes.

He was angry with her, but he couldn't understand why. He'd wanted nothing more than to talk things out with Sienna. Now, she was here trying to do exactly that and he felt as though he could explode with anger.

"Cal..." Sienna's voice left her. She couldn't say more. She was preoccupied with swallowing back the lump in her throat.

"You wanna' yell at me some more? Put some more words in my mouth?" Calum demanded.

Yes, Calum thought, I would love to talk, but the first time we tried that you didn't even give me a chance to say anything before you cut me out of your life.

Then, the last time we talked we got into a fight and you told me how you think I'm a piece of shit.

He wanted to scream these words at her, but he wouldn't dare. He didn't see the point. What good would it do now?

So, no. He decided. We can't talk. Not until you are willing to listen to me.

"I wanted to apologize for that actually," Sienna willed herself to speak, hoping her voice wouldn't crack. "but I can see there's no use."