14

Darrelle's POV
I sat in the car looking at the house, Since we were both in Florida Nia invited me to meet her parents something I never expected but trust me I wasn't mad.

I walked towards the door double checking the address on my phone before knocking. It opened to reveal Nia she smiled coming outside closing the door. I looked at her confused as her eyes went to the bottle of wine in my hand.

"What's that?" She asked amused.

"A gift," I said

"I told you no gifts," she said smiling looking up at me.

"I know," I said she took the bottle rolling her eyes playfully holding my hand. I opened the door and we both stepped in, I closed it as nervousness rushed over me. This would be my first time meeting a girl's parents since high school.

"Are you nervous?" She asked me.

"No I'm fine," I lied and she laughed slightly as she lead me down the hall into the kitchen.

"Mom this is Darrelle, Darrelle this is my mother Aliyah Graham," she said placing the bottle on the counter. Her mother turned around wiping her hand in her apron walking towards me. She pulled me into a hug surprising me as Nia released my hand allowing me to hug her mother back.

"Nice to meet you dear," she said pulling away a friendly smile on her face, her Jamaican accent thick.

"Likewise Mrs Graham," I replied.

"Mom do you mind putting this on ice?" Nia asked her and she nodded taking the bottle.

"Dinner is ready so you can start setting the table and tell your brother to come and empty the trash," her mother told her as she opened the fridge.

"You're staying for dinner right?" She asked and I nodded she smiled turning back to the stove as Nia held onto my hand pulling me out of the kitchen.

"So you're just gonna drag me around for the rest of the day?" I asked her amused she smiled as I pulled my hand from hers wrapping it around her waist. She lead me to what looked like the living room where her entire family was.

"Tevin mom wants you to take out the trash," Nia informed him, he groaned getting up as we walked closer, I was still slightly pissed from what Nia had told me.

"Darrelle this is my sister Dream, my father Carter and you know Trish," she said introducing us I shook everyone's hand before going to her father's who kept a firm grip during the shake I pulled my hand away, placing it back around her waist.

"Nia mom wants you, Dream and Trish in the kitchen," I heard Tevin say, Nia pulled out of my hold leaving me stranded. I looked over to the couch where her dad was sitting he looked up at me a blank expression on his face.

He looked at space beside him motioning for me to take a seat and I did faking confidence hoping he didn't see through it. I heard a way to a girl's heart is through her parents, so I didn't want to fuck this up and he already looked as if he didn't like me.

My phone buzzed and I leaned back removing my it from the front pocket of my jeans. I turned it on looking at the new notification on my lock screen to see that the warriors game was starting.

I turned it off putting it back in pocket looking at the television then to her father who's eyes were planted in the screen.

Should I ask

I looked at the screen deciding to, not wanting to miss the game.

"Do you mind if we switched to the sports channel, warriors are playing today," I asked him, he looked over to me a smile hiding behind his frown as he reached for the remote switching the channel.

"You're a warriors fan or a Curry fan?" He asked me as we watched the pregame events.

"Both,"

"What do you mean by both?"

"It means I'm not a banwagon fan," I said chuckling.

"Can you play?" He asked me chuckling.

"Yeah a little bit,"

"A little bit?" He asked and I chuckled nodding.

"You new players can't really play, the game has gotten soft when I played it was a man's sport, now y'all flopping every chance you get," he said amused.

"You played?" I asked him and he nodded before saying.

"Back in highschool and college a long time ago, but I bet I could put up twenty before you could," he said as the sound of front door opening got my attention.

"It's a bet," I said as Tevin and a guy around our age walked in beside him laughing.

"Hey Dad look who I found," Tevin said as his father stood up smiling pulling the guy in a hug they exchanged a few words before Carter went upstairs most likely to change.

"This is Nia's boyfriend Darrelle," Tevin said motioning to me I shook his hand.

"Darrelle this is Michael a family friend," Tevin told me, I pushed down my irritation nodding realizing that game was about to start I looked up to see Carter walking towards us in a white T-shirt and black basketball shorts and a Nike shoes.

"Ready?" He asked me and I chuckled.

"You're serious?" I asked him amused.

"I've got a radio out back I can have the game going will I teach you the game," he said I shook my head getting up.

"You playing in jeans?" He asked me and I shook my head.

"I've got shorts under this, where can I change?" I asked

"Down the hall first door on the left," he replied I nodded following instructions to be greeted by a bathroom I opened the door stepping in taking off my Jordans before pulling off my joggers.

I was in a black v-neck and now purple basket ball shorts with black Jordans that I was currently putting on again. I folded my joggers placing it on the counter before stepping out.

"We're playing 2v2," Carter said the moment I came out leading me to the court outside. He threw me a ball starting up the radio.

"You and me, Carter and Tevin," Michael said to me I nodded throwing him the ball, watching as Carter stretched.

"Twos equal ones and threes equals twos, we're going to ten" Carter said as we began to set up Michael threw me the ball I chuckled handing Carter the ball he checked me. I held the ball dribbling doing a quick step to the right making a three I chuckled as Tevin throw me the ball I handed it to him as he looked at me slightly shocked.

"Where is the defence old school?" I joked as he passed the ball to me. I passed the ball to Michael doing back door cut he threw the lob and I did a quick dunk securing a point. After a couple minutes the game was 7-7.

I gave Carter the ball who did a quick spin I hesitated and he got pass me, Michael left Tevin to help and Carter handed off the ball to him I ran back going on Tevin he pump faked and I fell for it as he passed it to cater who popped a three. I got the ball whipping the sweat off my face with my shirt my breathing uneven.

"Tired new school?" Carter said amused I shook my head too out of breath to speak. He laughed as I gave him the ball he started to dribble a little to much I reached knocking it out of his hand. I sprinted grabbing the ball, dishing it to Michael then I quickly ran setting a screen for him.

He went to the basket immediately attracting a double team, he did a quick bounce pass I held the ball doing a step back wanting to go for the three I popped the shot and it hit the backboard falling in.

"Can't guard me old school?" I asked looking over to Carter. Tevin passed me the ball and I immediately went to the hoop wanting to attract a double team the moment I did I passed it out to Michael they ran to him trying to stop it he took the shot and it bounced off the rim I did quick dunk putting it back in.

"Game," I said slightly breathless.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Thanks for reading ❤️‼️