Chapter 33

*A/N: I don't know what happened that when I updated this chapter it got published above chapter 32 so I had to switch the chapters to keep chapter 32 above 33 so, sorry if you receive a notification that chapter 33 was updated before 32*

It's as if it all happened in slow motion and the world suddenly stopped. I keep my eyes shut tightly while grasping onto Alex who's on top of me, refusing to believe what my mind is saying.

No. It can't be. It's all in my head.

I shake my head, refusing to listen to that voice telling me to open my eyes. I don't want to. Afraid of what I'd see. I almost succeed in not opening it, but the pained grunt that erupts after the moment of silence from the incident causes me to snap my eyes open.

My first instinct is to look down at Alex who's breathing heavily into my neck. I quickly look at his body, my hands carefully, unsurely and fastly checking his body for where the shot landed. I place my hand in dear against his back, slowly bringing the palm of my hand to look at it. My eyes widen when I see it.

No blood.

He wasn't shot. Oh thank heavens.

But then... Where did the shot go? Did Marc miss by chance? No, he surely had a good aim, no way could he have missed that shot.  "What the fuck! " an angry bass voice says, causing me to look up at the scene before me. Marc is glaring in unanticipated shock and Benedict who's now standing in between all three of us.

My eyes avert from his pained contorted face down to his right upper arm that he's firmly gripping with his left hand. I watch as his hand gets more soaked in red blood dripping out of his arm through the spaces of his fingers and onto the floor beside him.

He got shot instead?

No. No.... He took the shot... But why? My head begins to throb as confusion hits in. "why the FUCK DID YOU GET IN MY WAY. BENEDICT! " Marc yells. His voice booming throughout the place. Exactly, I need to know too. "This.... I've had enough of this Dad. This control. I'VE HAD ENOUGH" it's Benedict's turn to yell now.

The tension grows again in the atmosphere as well as more confusion. With furrowed eyebrows I glance at Marc who's glaring wide eyes at Ben, flicking his gaze to me for a second before returning it back to Ben. Still taking shaky and difficult breaths, Benedict fully turns so he's siding both sides to easily look at me. "I don't want this life. I never did. But Marc coaxed me into it. Making me put people's lives in danger when it's all his doing" He says this whilst looking into my eyes. My eyes widen as I stare back. He's.... Being honest.

I suddenly feel like there's something I don't know. A puzzle that I haven't fixed. I'm about to ask him to elaborate what he means by what he's ranting when from the corner of my eye, I see Marc raise his gun at Benedict who barely notices. It all happens in a flash. Finger on the trigger, he pulls it. Not before I quickly grab my own gun and aim. I didn't aim perfectly so I only end up shooting Marc's hand that has the gun in hold.

Benedict's eyes widen as his head snaps to his Dad who's now grunting in pain. He drops the gun on the ground, his right hand clutching his bleeding arm. "You fucking retard..... You bastard Benedict... How dare you betray me like this?! Argh!" He stumbles backward  to the wall. I can tell he's making a move to escape so I aim at his other unharmed arm and shoot. The loud gun sound booming all over the place. He growls louder in pain. I place Alex on the ground and get up slowly, giving a pale looking Benedict a glare that says 'I'd get back to you later' which I'm sure he understands as he makes no attempt to move away as I return my focus to Marc who's now reaching for his phone to probably call his men for backup.