Chapter 35

*Pic of Rodriguez aka Aileeta's papa above*

Benedict's p.o.v

I stare up at the ceiling, trying to think of scenarios that my incoming questions will be asked. And how I'd begin to answer them. I knew that one day my mistakes will come back to bite me. Hell, I even thought I won't be able to see this day because believe it or not, I could practically perceive and feel Aileeta's burning rage and unquenchable thirst for revenge.

A rage so strong that it can and will burn down anyone in its way. I thought that rage will kill me. I probably would've received more than a gun shot on the arm if things didn't take a different path last night.

Aileeta...

She's been through a lot because of My d....ad.... And I couldn't do anything about it because he had me under his foot, controlling me like a puppet. As if my body feels my heart burden, it sends a throbbing shock to all parts of my arm that just recently undertook a surgery to remove the bullet.

My left hand almost immediately reaches to the bandaged arm, in a futile attempt to ease the pain. My face scrunches up as I grimace from the effort. "You're finally awake" A voice perks up, causing me to look to the direction of the sound.

"Alex.. ' I say. Surprise evident in my voice. "When did you get here? How long have you been in here? " I ask as I stare at his appearance. He has little or no noticeable bruises that've been attended to already, a few tiny band-aids here and there, covered up by the white sweater he's wearing.

Other than that he looks OK, unlike me that probably looks like a mess. I plop my elbows, wincing as I forgot about my healing arm that I rested weight on.

Times like this I'm thankful that I don't have a shirt on. Somehow I feel it would've added more uncomfortability to my situation.

"You really shouldn't be stressing yourself right after a bullet surgery you know? " he says making me look at him again. I finally get myself into a sitting position after a few struggling and wincing.

I rest my back against the headboard, panting slightly from the effort. I bring my available hand to push back the hair that fell to my face. "I wasn't here too long. Got bored after treatment so I thought it'd be better to wait here till you woke up when the doctor completed your surgery "

He answers my earlier question. I nod in understanding. "kinda sadistic if you ask me. Picking entertainment from watching someone recover from a bullet surgery " I chuckle. At least I try to.

It just comes out croaked. He just stares at me. So many questions lingering in his eyes. I look down and the duvet covering my lower half and let out a soft sigh.

"Loo-" I'm just about to finish my statement when the door swings open. Rodriguez holds the door open as mom quickly saunters in along with Anthony. My eyes stay fixed on Aileeta who's also staring back at me before her gaze flicks to Alex who's equally staring at her.

"Alex, why're you here? You should be in your room resting" Mom says concernedly. "Nah, I'm good. Just a few bruises that don't hurt anymore after the medications. Besides, I'm not the one in need of that rest, it's Ben here since he got a life threatening injury" He says.

This causes them to fix their attention back at me. Rodriguez shuts the door and takes a seat next to mom a few distances away from my bed. Aileeta stays arms folded, absent mindedly standing in front of the exit beside Anthony.

"Benedict. You must already know why we're here! " Rodriguez is first to talk, breaking the awkward silence. My head turns to him. He's already looking at me. I visibly gulp and nod.

"Yes.. " I say and turn to mom. "Mom, i-"
"No... I just want to hear your story first " she says. "What did you mean by what you told me Benedict? " Aileeta asks.

I saw this coming. I take in a deep breath for what I know will be a long explanation. "I was only 12 years old then, when Dad introduced me to this thing called Mafia. I thought it was some kind of a joke when Dad said he wants me to be the next leader of his gang and started introducing me to guns.

He wanted to train me to use it. He said it was for a little 'revenge '. Little did I know that the revenge involved taking the life of an ex mafia partner of his... Or more so, his wife...

He wanted me to be strong for the gang so I will be respected and feared by the members of his gang. So they won't look down on me. I discovered more of how dangerous mafia was as I was taken deeper into it and later told him I didn't want to be involved.

I attempted to tell mom about it but he figured it out and threatened to kill not just her... But Alex since I was also close to him then, if I told any of them about it. In exchange for their safety I had to oblique. I couldn't understand why he'd put his own wife and nephew's life on the line so heartlessly.

I had a lot of people's lives in my hands at such a young age. I was mentally burdened. As a kid that age my only worry about life should be school and playing with other kids my age. But Marc made it one of handling guns, dealing with drugs and putting innocent people's lives on the line without wanting to.

One day, I discovered he had taken in a woman and tied her up somewhere in one of the rooms of the mansion he always took me to for training to be next leader of the gang.

I managed to get from him that she was Aileeta's mom and Rodriguez's wife. I came to figure that he was the ex mafia dad wanted to take revenge from, reason unknown. I also got to know she was pregnant. I told dad not to do this but he threatened me as usual.

I felt so helpless watching as he tried to bargain with Rodriguez for his submission using a helpless woman. The only thing I could do was secretly go to feed her since she was with stomach for two and must be starving.

I kept doing that even though Dad told me not to. He couldn't care less if she had a miscarriage. One day, he told me that he wanted me to get rid of her so that not only will Rodriguez be broken, but so that Dad's gang will trust that their next leader is heartless to the core and will follow his orders. I refused.

He eventually did it himself. Not after..... Raping her" I shut my eyes tightly, my mind reliving that day again. The silence that follows after I'm done talking is broken by a sob. I quickly look at mom.

"I can't believe this... He put you through this right under my nose and I didn't notice... He ruined many people's lives and.... I harbored that man in my palace... " He cries as she gets up, moving towards me. She takes a seat beside me before engulfing my head in a longing hug.

Rodriguez has been quiet the whole time, absorbing the information he never knew, he doesn't say a thing but I can see the anger evident in his eyes as he stares into nothingness. Not anger at me, but now at Marc.

The next thing I hear is the door slamming shut with a loud 'bam'. My eyes quickly averts to see that Aileeta is no more there.

Anthony quickly opens the door, following after her.

I sigh in sadness. Everything is such a mess.

-

A/N: does anyone hate Benedict? Or still hate him after hearing his back story? Do you think it's his fault? Like, comment your thoughts. Follow my gram: @gigiarako thanks