32 | Blue Flower, Red Thorns

The leaves shivered in the breeze as cold air surrounded them. The midday sun beat down on two figures that were standing only a few paces from each other in the middle of a field. This large patch of grass was formed by none other then Dimitri and Halay when they trained, burning the trees or making them fly away. It was safe to say that they didn't hold back against each other. Nevertheless, the two brunettes stared at each other intensely, waiting for the other to make a move. It was like a Mexican stand off.

"You ready kid?" Halay questioned him, her hand twitching beside her as she readied herself. Her short hair was tied into a small bun at the back of her head so that her fringe didn't get in her face.

"Bring it Halay." Dimitri replied as his hand twitched too. His fingers brushing over the new steel that Jorge had given him. The old one had smashed one day in the market after Dimitri accidentally dropped it, this caused Jorge to tinker on it for a while and then produced a shatter proof stele, equipped with a smaller lacrima on the end incase he dropped it again.

Halay shifted her feet so they were shoulder width apart, her lips tugging upwards. "Remember don't hold back." She told him as she watched him do the same.

"Tell that to yourself." He responded. Before she had a chance to reply, Dimitri had pulled the stele out of his pocket and twirled it in his hand. From his memory, his hand danced around in the air, the stele drawing golden lines in front of him. "Rune: Celestial Winds!" He called as the wind picked up around them.

Halay was impressed as the wind wrapped around her, trying to shorten her breath. She eye sight was only slightly impaired but she couldn't see what her student was doing which made her curious. She lifted her arm, pushing the air away from her and dispersing it. "You're forgetting I know Air magic kid." She called out.

"Did I?" Dimitri raised an eyebrow, challenging her. He completed one more line on his hand and shot a bright yellow light towards her. "Rune: Shattering Light!" The spell quickly became unstable, it was one of his newer spells. Halay hardly moved but she managed to dodge the attack, moving incomprehensibly fast. The stream of light broke and started firing away from his target. Dimitri danced the stele across his neutralising tune on his neck. "Dammit." He muttered as he watched his hand burn slightly. Halay stood still as she watched him drop to the floor, his arms creating a large run for his final attack. "Rune: Erruption!"

The ground tumbled underneath them, a low growl coming from the earths core. From the rune shot a stream of hot magma that disappeared when it hit the air, turning to steam. Dimitri let our a deep breath as his magic limit was being hit rather quickly. He knew that Halay hadn't even scratched the surface of her power and as much as he knew this fight would be one sided, he knew why it was happening. She was trying to extend his limit and he was thankful.

She laughed as the floor crumbled around her, hot lava poking through, threatening to burn her. "Really?" Halay smirked as she brought her closed fist to the palm of her hand. "Ice Make: Floor!" Her hands touched the ground and it immediately froze over, the light pink ice covering the grass and trees around them. Dimitri tried to move but found himself shivering from the temperature drop. "Fireball!" She called out, sending a small ball of fire to knock the boy over. He dropped to the floor with a groan and no life threatening injuries, only a bruised ego.

She lit a warm fire in her palm and placed it gently to the floor, melting the ice underneath her as she watched Dimitri sit up, shifting in slight pain. "You need to work on you're reaction times." She stated as she walked over to him, her eyes scanning his body for cuts or bruises.

"I thought you said you weren't gonna use your old magic." Dimitri groaned in pain as he rubbed his head, it was ringing from his small tumble.

Halay crouched down in front of him, watching his eyes as they connected with hers. She held lots of concern for him as she asked softly, "Did I go too far?"