42 | A Heated Debate with a Dash Of Teenage Melodrama

The long, winding corridor was stuffy. A small layer of dust laced the stairs as Gildarts, Halay and Makarov made their way down them. Small fires slowly lit up as the walked into the darkness, illuminating the steps. The trio was currently under the old Fairy Tail guild hall, Makarov being the only one who knew what was going on. There was a silence over them, Halay being too caught up in making sure she didn't fall down the steps instead of making conversation.

"Hey Master, are you sure it's okay to be in here?" Gildarts asked warily as he sent a worried glance to the brunette next to him. "I mean the property's been seized. Doesn't that mean we're trespassing?"

"It'll be ours soon enough." Makarov answered vaguely which made Halay furrow her brows in confusion. She didn't understand what was happening, only that Makarov insisted she follow him.

"How long is this staircase and how did I not know that the guild hall had an underground passageway?" Gildarts questioned as he continued down more steps, taking in the dull scenery around him.

"Stop asking questions." Halay told him, knowing that Makarov would tell them fully when they arrived.

Makarov sighed as he continued, slowly getting closer to the bottom of the staircase. "I never told anyone about it."

"Why all the secrecy?" Halay asked him as she slowly touched the brick beside her, her ringers dancing along it. The rings reflecting the orange light and creating a pattern on the ceiling.

"Look who's asking questions now." Gildarts teased her. She sent him a side glance, a small and amused smile tugging at her lips.

"Patients, you're about to find out." Makarov replied as they finally reached the bottom of the staircase. The small man pushed open a large black door and walked inside. Halay reluctantly followed and her eyes widen when they stepped into a new room. The floor displayed a mosaic of the guild mark and the walls were large and white, the ceiling stretching unbelievably high. They carried on walking until they reached another door. Here, Makarov lifted his arm and a golden magic circle appeared. "Here we go."

The magic circle disappeared and the doors slowly started to open, light dipping through. A white light emitting from the unknown room caught Halay off guard as she winced away, her eyes sensitive to it. Suddenly, a wave of unimaginable magic power hit her body like a tidal wave and made her gasp, stumbling back slightly in shock.

"Before you is Fairy Tail's greatest secret and that is the Lumen Histoire." Makarov informed the two mages who were stood, eyes wide, staring at the light.

"What is this feeling?" Gildarts asked himself as he felt a similar thing to Halay. "It's overwhelming."

"It is the essence of Fairy Tail." Makarov replied as he watched their wide-eyed expressions. "A true essence Mavis spoke of."

Halay left out small breath of air as she tried to figure out what to say. Her mind became blank the minute she saw the light in front of her. "I don't know what to say."

"I'm at a complete loss for words here." Gildarts admitted.

"I don't blame you." The small man chuckled lightly. "The first time Master Precht brought me down to this place, I almost forgot how to breath."

"This has been under our feet this whole time?" Gildarts asked the master. Suddenly something hit him and he turned to the smaller man and questioned, "Hold on, why are you showing this to me?"

"Because like Precht before me, it is my job to choose the next guild master and it's you, Gildarts." Makarov responded truthfully. Halay felt a little let down that he hadn't chosen her but she also felt relieved that she didn't have to take care of anyone anymore. A weight was lifted off her shoulders that she didn't realise she was carrying.