20. Small Smiles

Sophia Blossom

The mansion was beautiful, to say the least.

Alex came towards me and intertwined our hands and escorted me in

Alex came towards me and intertwined our hands and escorted me in. We all stepped inside and a couple who looked like the were in their late 50s, greeted us. "Welcome Sir, Welcome Ma'am." Both of them wore a smile on their faces as the lady greeted us all. "Everyone, this is Brick and Abigail Black. They live nearby and also take care of this house for us." Alex introduced us to them one by one. "I've prepared some penne pasta in tomato sauce for you all. I'll heat up the dinner and in the mean time why down guys freshen up," Abigail said and we all nodded and made our way towards our respective rooms to have a shower.

The mansion is majorly made out of wood. It's very spacious too. It has 5 rooms, 7 bathrooms and a very big sitting area. It consists a big kitchen and a movie room too. I and Alex were staying in one room as Kev and Jen occupied another. Josh and Violet had two different rooms as they still haven't resolved their problems. After about 10 minutes, we all sat down in the spacious dining room to have our dinner. The pasta was amazing and it turns out, Abigail used to be a chef at a local restaurant before getting married to Brick.

Halfway through the desserts, a small conversation turned into a big argument between Violet and Josh. Nobody at the table understood what had happened but we stayed quite for the time being. Josh said something in Violet's ear, which one quite caught and all we saw was her expression changed completely. She suddenly stood up from the table angrily and went to her room leaving an uncomfortable silence behind her, at the table. Shortly, we all dispersed too.

I changed into my night suit first and then Alex went into the bathroom to have a shower as he didn't had one earlier. I sat on the bed and took my phone, opening Instagram. I got the app two months back because according to Jen, I should have one. I haven't posted any pictures since a week and decided to do it now. I posted a photo of mine in a black trench coat and a black beret hat. This picture was taken a few days back and was sent to me after they edited the background. I find it cute, so why not.

Alex walked out of the bathroom in simple gray sweatpants and a white tee

Alex walked out of the bathroom in simple gray sweatpants and a white tee. He came and lied next to me keeping his head in my chest, smiling like a baby. I ruffled his hair a little. He asked, "You haven't been verified yet?" Alex sounded a little surprised. I shook my head negative. He took his phone from the nightstand and dialled a number. He shortly spoke, "Hey bob. Sorry to disturb you during holidays but can you do me a favour and please verify Sophia Blossom's Instagram account for me. I'll send you her profile... Yes, Thank you." It still amazes me how nicely he talks to his staff.

Usual bosses or employers are generally very rude, arrogant and disrespectful. Alex perfectly acknowledges the fact that even though he pays them to work for him, they are humans too. He respects every employee of his and doesn't shy away from using words like, 'Please', 'Sorry' or 'Thank you'. Alex earns a little more respect from me every time I hear him communicating with his staff. Be it Erica, Jen or even me when I first joined,he is always polite. His staff worships him and the amount of loyalty and respect they have for him is unreal. Alex always credits them with his success and I'm very lucky that he is my man.

Just then a knock was heard on the door and my chain of thoughts was broken. "Come in." Alex answered as he kept his phone on the nightstand and sat straight on the bed as I kept my phone away too. Jen, Kev and Violet entered our room.

"Is everything okay?" I questioned and Jen replied, "Thanksgiving is on Wednesday and I would really like if V and Josh solve their issues before it. I went to have a talk with Josh and he told me all that happened between them." Violet licked her dry lips and let out a sigh. Jen continued, "I came here to share the reason with you, Alex and Kev." Violet and Jen took a seat on the couch while Kev sat on the sitting area by the window.

Jen drew in a breath before starting. "I've never shared this with any of you except Kev. Josh and I had an elder sister, Ashleigh. She was the best sister I could've asked for. She was the light of our house. One day she announced the news of her pregnancy. She had a boyfriend, Harry, for 3 years and they were so in love with each other. My family even treated Harry like their own son. They even started talking about getting them marriage once the child was born. Unfortunately, she died during the delivery before her baby was born. Harry was heartbroken and isolated himself from anyone for days and soon we got the news that he committed suicide due to depression. It came as major shock to our family. We had lost three members of our family within a month. In next 6 months, we shifted to L.A. Josh and I had learnt to live with the fact that they're gone and meeting you guys felt like a new chapter of life. When Violet casually talked about having kids someday, the pain Josh was trying to suppress made it's way out through his tongue and that naïve brother of mine shouted on and insulted Violet." She then turned towards Violet and said, "I'm sorry on his behalf V. I promise he doesn't want to hurt you. It's just that he loves you so much that a part of him dies every time he thinks of losing you. I know you want kids but you have to convince him gradually. He gets too emotional whenever something related to Ashleigh comes up." Violet hugged Jen as she was on the verge of crying and I did the same.

"I promise I'll mend your naïve brother's broken heart one day." Violet assured Jen and we all broke into small smiles.